Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a project I did last week. I have wanted better front brakes on my Focus, but not finding good deals on used SVT setups, and new ones were more than I could justify spending, I decided to make my own brackets to mount Mustang 99-04 pbr calipers over Focus SVT rotors, using the base model 2000-2004 steering knuckles. I am not the first to use this specific approach, but I wanted to show the results. Been driving on the setup since Saturday, the improvement in braking over the 10.15" rotors is unbelievable.
Two used mustang Calipers off craigslist: $40
Two new rotors at NAPA: $100
Two new front brake hoses: $25

It was required to trim the old caliper mount off the knuckle, redrill and tap the lower caliper mount bolt to M12, and drill one through hole for the upper mounting block. I bought a used set of knuckles to modify while making the brackets so I could keep driving my Focus during the project. The only other md necessary is to use and adapter fitting to convert the Focus 10mm brake line threads to 3/8-24 to match the Mustang hoses. I decided to just cut the 10mm line nut off the hardline, replace it with a 3/8-24 nut, and make a new flare.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Mustang brackets are being used, but they don't just bolt right up.
(they are the dirty black part that I didn't repaint, between the aluminum caliper and the rotor)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
someone needs to figure this out for the svt knuckles. i could really use bigger calipers up front so i can dive super hard into corners. i just dont have any svt knuckles to spare.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it really has any braking advantages over the SVT calipers, they have almost identical bore volume and I am using SVT rotors.
I know the trend is more pistons is better, but how much does it really matter?
These calipers are much lighter though, only 5.75# instead of 12.75# for the SVT ones (weights from catalog)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Really loving this, just called BAT and their kit is discontinued. Would you be up to making some brackets and selling them? I would buy a set yesterday lool

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some extras, getting one part made at the waterjet cutting shop costs the same as getting half a dozen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The location of the caliper mount right now will clear a 12.19" rotor and fit perfect, any bigger and you would probably have to take a dremel or die grinder to the cast iron caliper bracket and remove a tiny bit of material to make clearance between the outside edge of the rotor and the cast iron caliper bracket. There is plenty of material, so integrity wouldn't be an issue.

Different rotor offsets or thickness would be easy enough by specifying a different spacer thickness. I have them in .625" and .750" now (.750 was the shops mistake).

I will use the Wilwood 12.19" rotor and aluminum hat when I have some more cash, but at $165 for the hat + $65 for the rotor, getting pricey for this broke guy right now.
I am using the SVT 11.82" rotors and you don't want to go any smaller than that, the pads will hang off the outside edge. That won't affect braking ability, but is will make a low speed squeaky sound dragging lightly on the edge unless you take 15 seconds to dress the edge of the pads so they don't overhang the rotor by a tiny bit.

What 330mm rotor did you have in mind?

I do have two sets I can sell, just haven't put up an advertisement. If you are reading this and want a set, PM me.
More sets are easy enough to make, just send the CAD drawing over and a handful of cash for the waterjet shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts