Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of times, You acquire a part that could be cool or would work with a couple modifications......but most people lack the know-how and/or means to make a part work....I'll show you how with readily available supplies.

So, let's say you get this wing that ALMOST fits the car....as in it covers the brake light which you want to retain.

DON'T FRET! It CAN be done....

would you look at that, my stock wing has this nice recess in it for the brake light....too bad this new wing doesn't have that :(

WAIT! I CAN MOLD IT!

step one: cover the area you're trying to copy in tin foil and smooth it as best as possible. tape all of your seams WELL.

step two (and three): wax the tin foil, even a "quick wax" or "wax as you dry" spray product will be a big help in removal.

then lay some fiberglass matt on there and wet it out with resin

Now, once it has cured, pop it off and trim it up. then trim the part you're modifying to receive the piece you just made

well would you look at that! that'll do nicely.

Now, to finish off, you need some two-part epoxy that will bond to both plastic AND fiberglass. Any areas that need A LOT of work, I like using an epoxy stick/putty like so:

use the liquid two-part stuff on all the surfaces that actually touch, then for gaps and shaping use the putty.

Then sand everything into shape with some 80-grit paper to start, then work down to 180, 220, and 320.

then after 320 you can move on to high-build/filler primer

then once that dries, wet-sand with 400 and 600 to be sure you have the shapes nice and smooth, then move on to paint

Now you can enjoy your new wing fitting just the way you always dreamed of

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

stay tuned, I'll be posting many many more little how-to's.....I lack pictures of my processes on a few things that would be great to do write-ups on but I'll try to get some pictures soon on future repairs and fab work to post more stuff. I really want to make a nice write-up on bumper (or any other plastic body piece) repair.....I've got a TRASHED euro st170 bumper that's literally in 14 pieces that I plan to resurrect, I'll be sure to take major pics for a write-up on it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Nice.

Will most 2 part epoxies work for bonding fiberglass and plastic? The only place I see this stuff is at Home Depot or an auto parts store(in syringe form) or I am looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice.

Will most 2 part epoxies work for bonding fiberglass and plastic? The only place I see this stuff is at Home Depot or an auto parts store(in syringe form) or I am looking in the wrong place?
just read the backs, that's the right stuff....just go with a decent brand. I try to buy middle-of-the-road products. most will have a list of approved uses on the back. if it says fiberglass or "FRP" or "composites" it'll do the trick. most store-bought epoxies are urethane based so most will absolutely have plastic or PVC or polyurethane listed as uses on the back. Stay away from permatex and JB weld if you can, I've had bad luck with those....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Was looking at AutoZone today and O'Reillys. Both have Versachem and permatex. All of them say they cannot by used on polypropylene and polyethylene which I believe our interior body panels are made of one of those. Those epoxies would work fine for the radio and speedo bezels and exterior bumpers. Can't find anything that will glue to the interior panels :(

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks!!

stay tuned, I'll be posting many many more little how-to's.....I lack pictures of my processes on a few things that would be great to do write-ups on but I'll try to get some pictures soon on future repairs and fab work to post more stuff. I really want to make a nice write-up on bumper (or any other plastic body piece) repair.....I've got a TRASHED euro st170 bumper that's literally in 14 pieces that I plan to resurrect, I'll be sure to take major pics for a write-up on it.
Would still love to see a solid write up on bumper repair

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would still love to see a solid write up on bumper repair
Check out my plastic repair how-to. It involves a set of sideskirts but the process applies to bumpers and any other plastic parts.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll dig it up but you should get it moved to this forum. Seems to me a lot of threads have disappeared around the forum after the last migration

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the link! I dug through that list too and ended up on your huge thread on molding the skirts and RS splitters. Was an interesting read but definitely glossed over what you put in this other thread haha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts