Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you saw a picture on the internet of a focus with no rear ford emblem and fell in love..... here's how it's done

First, remove the grab strip and then sand away the paint in and around the emblem recess in the hatch door. Then make a paper template of the shape and where to fold it, and make a metal filler piece. I used 18g steel I bought at home depot. I used dremel to cut it out, and a vice and rubber mallet to make the bend.

use magnets to hold the filler piece in place

now weld it in and grind/flapwheel flat/smooth

apply some reinforced body filler

sand that down in 80 grit, and you'll probably have to do a layer of regular body filler to get a smooth surface.....sand that down with 220 and 320

spray with filler primer

at this point, leave the door alone and move on to the grab strip. you'll have to cut some of the backing area from where the emblem stuck

make sure it sits flush to the hatch (ignore that I painted mine already, it just happened that way and I was doing a number of things at once...you'll probably want to paint the door and strip at the same time if they'll be the same color)

Now, What I did next was drill a bunch of 3/16" holes into the emblem recess, and into the corners of it. then I used a counter-sink bit on the back side. Then I used some epoxy-stick (epoxy putty works too) to fill in the void, making sure to have it be higher than the rest of the grab strip so I could shape it later. be sure to press hard and verify the putty works through the holes you drilled so it anchors into the counter-sinks. Sorry I don't have many pics of that process....

in that pic, you can see I've also finished it in some plastic filler (meant for bumper gouge repairs). You can also see some pink dots....that's because I broke 4 of 5 mounting studs removing the grab strip....here's how to repair those if that happened to you as well:

drill out the remaining stud from the plastic legs the broke off of. Then take some long 10mm bolts with three nuts on them....put one on the bolt, then put it through the hole and put two more on the other side of the leg (between the plastic leg and rear side of the strip itself). adjust the nuts in a way that some of the bolt is on either side of the plastic leg, and jam the third nut against the nut inside the leg. Then drill a couple 3/16" holes from the top sides of the strip and counter sink them. Then back-fill the leg area with epoxy putty/stick like you did in the badge recess. make sure the putty pushes through the holes and crowns over the counter-sinks so they anchor. This will make you a nice new stud that isn't going ANYWHERE. once the epoxy is dry, cut the head of the bolt off and remove the top nut, which now is your mounting nut when the strip is back on the car.

OK, back to the rest. Sand the strip down smooth, if you started with a textured strip like I did, you'll have to hit it with 180 to start, then 220, then 320. if yours was painted already, just 320 will do.

Then filler prime

now you can scuff in 400 and 600 wet

and paint!

once dry, put the car back together and enjoy your own version of the awesomeness you found on the internet.

(but birds will probably poop on it)

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, with everything else I've done to the car, I have done it partially to help non-car-people realize it's not just an everyday car anyone can have......more often than not I'm approached and asked "what kind of car is this!?"

·
Registered
153 Posts
Solid DIY, thanks for the insight into all the crazy body work you do, Nick!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts