Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2013 focus ST and I bought it with about 30k miles on it. The guy before me had stage 2 bolt ons stock turbo and had a pro-cal tune on it. A couple weeks after the tune he lost compression in all 4 cylinders and found out that, according to the ford tech, the rings failed. So the owner was able to get a brand new long block. Put it in and took everything off of it to sell. So this is when I bought it. I put a ford racing cat back exhaust, ford racing lowering springs, and ford racing short throw shifter on it. Then I bought a brand new Pro-cal tuner from ford performance, I put it on and less than a week later I had a ring fail during autocross, and it took out the bottom side of the number 1 piston. So it was under warranty because the tuner was installed by ford with a warranty. So I got a new short block and took the tune off and threw it in the trash.

I'm scared to do anything to this car now. If anyone has any input that might help me overcome my fear please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree with hEaT. It looks like the Ford tune is the problem here ironically enough. I would go with FSWerks, Cobb, or
Mountune if you still want a tune on the car. They have an excellent track record and will tune according to the mods you
have done to the car so everything is running nice and safe.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
It's the garbage Ford tune.

Get your new engine, install an intercooler and consider water/meth if you'll be racing(you mentioned autox). Then find yourself a decent tuner.

Randy @ Mountune or Adam @ Tune+ both do great work.

- Drew

·
I've got a fever, and the only cure is...
1,802 Posts
Ford doesnt use Ford tunes anymore. I wonder if you can get them to give you a Mountune reprogram to replace the pro-cal one since this car already has a history of blowing up on the pro-cal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts