Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there might be some wondering about the PowerShift transmission. There's a lot of buzz out there (both positive and negative). It seems Ford is trying to address some of it with this video:

For me, it answered a few questions I had in the back of my mind. After now putting over 3,000 km on one (mainly highway), it does definitely shift smoother than it did right off the lot at 8 km :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
It doesn't feel anything like a manual transmission. I was at a light the other day and as it went green I began to apply the gas and had to back off because the car stopped abruptly in front of me. The car felt like it had popped out of gear. No power, no forward motion and then, it was there again.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Propoganda! Mucho Propoganda! this is the same crap that they are pushing over on FiestaFaction. I think there is a bunch of folks that got early cars that had problems, (up to and including transmissions exploding and parts exiting thru the hood, yes you heard me....metal flying and ripping thru the hood...multiple instances of this btw!).....you can read about that on FiestaFaction. I personally traded my 2011 Fiesta after 31,000 miles for a 2012 Focus SE and mine shifts flawlessly. Note....other than my Fiesta having early build issues and non compliant parts, I had virtually no trouble with it and was mostly satisfied. This video is nothing more than Ford (who supports this site financially through sponsorships) trying very hard to fill the minds of those who got the early cars full of BS! If your tranny is making noise, shifting rough clicking or shuddering....there is something bad wrong...take it in....demand they fix it! For those who got later build cars......Enjoy!!!! it's great technology!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Propoganda! Mucho Propoganda! this is the same crap that they are pushing over on FiestaFaction. I think there is a bunch of folks that got early cars that had problems, (up to and including transmissions exploding and parts exiting thru the hood, yes you heard me....metal flying and ripping thru the hood...multiple instances of this btw!).....you can read about that on FiestaFaction. I personally traded my 2011 Fiesta after 31,000 miles for a 2012 Focus SE and mine shifts flawlessly. Note....other than my Fiesta having early build issues and non compliant parts, I had virtually no trouble with it and was mostly satisfied. This video is nothing more than Ford (who supports this site financially through sponsorships) trying very hard to fill the minds of those who got the early cars full of BS! If your tranny is making noise, shifting rough clicking or shuddering....there is something bad wrong...take it in....demand they fix it! For those who got later build cars......Enjoy!!!! it's great technology!
The reality is that the video is from fordvideo1's YouTube channel, and it's here as just information. The reality also is that FocalJet is independently owned and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.

bluebyutoo said:
It doesn't feel anything like a manual transmission. I was at a light the other day and as it went green I began to apply the gas and had to back off because the car stopped abruptly in front of me. The car felt like it had popped out of gear. No power, no forward motion and then, it was there again.
Were you in D or S?

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drive. Always drive unless I'm doing some back road twisties.
Maybe you were too quick for the car's computer? I've found I've had to drive a bit differently compared to the rest of the torque converter-ed cars in the fleet. It's more of an active defensive driving scenario -- predict the actions of others a bit more aggressively than before.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is at it's worst in city traffic. On the highway, I have no complaints.
Have you tried going into Sport mode when in city? I've done that a few times, especially if I know I have to make some quick floor-it moves to dart across gridlocked lanes.

I can only complain about when in Sport mode in the highway that the revs are a bit high (much like my old car). The fuel economy doesn't appear to be impacted much, but it's definitely higher versus in D.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I don't think it goes into sixth gear while in sports mode accounting for the higher revs. My city driving is one lane stuck in traffic, no opportunity to dart, pretty much stuck there but I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Major gaff in the video that they did not explain the +/- mode on the Focus Powershift or the what the L mode offers in the Fiesta.
IMO offering the Powershift to North Americans in mainstream vehicles was a bad decision and will/is hurting new Fiesta/Focus
owners perception and ownership experience.
Also in this video demonstration they should have shown actual footage of the trannies characters EG-low speed shudder, etc, so drivers
could relate to what they are feeling and hearing in their own Powershift equipped cars.
The brutal lack of detailed information from Ford North America to the consumer is another major weak point.
Appears to me that Ford N.A. is still a little bit in the dark ages and believes too much information is a negative for their consumers.
Todays consumers want and need much more detailed information for the vehicles they operate,
especially when equipped with new to the market technology.
For Ford to depend on the dealership network to educate consumer is a losing game, and goes against
Ford's mantra of being directly involved and listening to what the customer whats/needs.

The posted video is a small step in the right direction, but the execution/style of the video is too 70s mentality, in the sense that it
is not brave enough and deal with the many customer complaints head on in a real way. Instead it is like a "nice try" commercial sense, with a bottom line saying "really there is nothing wrong with the funky feeling transmission, give it time and it will smooth itself out.

BTW, ever notice that BMW does not offer their dual clutch in their mainstream 3 series? The dual clutch is only available in the 3 series M high performance model.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I don't recall anything about parts flying through hoods, got a link?

BTW-I'm also not aware of Ford Motor company providing any sponsorship to either Focaljet or Fiesta Faction, we as a dealership sponsor both however.

·
Banned
25 Posts

BTW-I'm also not aware of Ford Motor company providing any sponsorship to either Focaljet or Fiesta Faction, we as a dealership sponsor both however.

I will have to go through my emails from ron, but he admitted that because Ford Racing was a sponsor that in fact indirectly support came from Ford. Also, Ford has active full time employees monitoring and answering question's. It is awfully cozy the relationship here with Ford. Direct lines with upper management, brand managers certain mods being recognized at events with awards that are questionable. There us also a big effort to tow the company line here. As far as the powershift issues.....the threads about the exploding trannies are there and for anyone to deny it is full of BS. Natasha the Ford rep was all over taking care of those people.

·
Banned
25 Posts

Check out the "Fiesta Service Bay" that you sponsor. Poor folks powershift burned up and scattered, parts exited the hood with enough velocity to puncture it. Filled the car wit smoke. Was down quiet some time before ford replaced it.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I will have to go through my emails from ron, but he admitted that because Ford Racing was a sponsor that in fact indirectly support came from Ford. Also, Ford has active full time employees monitoring and answering question's. It is awfully cozy the relationship here with Ford. Direct lines with upper management, brand managers certain mods being recognized at events with awards that are questionable. There us also a big effort to tow the company line here. As far as the powershift issues.....the threads about the exploding trannies are there and for anyone to deny it is full of BS. Natasha the Ford rep was all over taking care of those people.
Ford Racing isn't Ford and I believe the actual Ford reps were there simply to help direct people and aid them with issues, I guarantee you that nothing is edited on the forums.

Check out the "Fiesta Service Bay" that you sponsor. Poor folks powershift burned up and scattered, parts exited the hood with enough velocity to puncture it. Filled the car wit smoke. Was down quiet some time before ford replaced it.
Again, I've been on there personally on a daily basis and I know there have been some issues with the powershift but mainly software issues and I still do not recall ANY mention of parts flying though hoods or transmissions exploding.

The only semi-catastrophic failure I'm aware of was the one that had the issue with flat towing and that's far from average, normal usage.

Again, If you can show me the links to exploding transmissions then I'll admit to being wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rented a Focus this summer and drove it for some 3 weeks. I came away largely impressed. However that powershift transmission is pure rubbish. I can't believe that such a part would make it into a production vehicle. Its truly awful and cannot be compared to VW's DSG.

Hopefully they will sort it out soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I drove an auto fiesta, coming from a 5speed Mercury Cougar, it felt amazing.... now I can understand where those not accustomed too manual transmissions might consider the transmission jerky or jittery at low speeds, but such is life without a slushbox to hold you back.

I'd wager most of the bad press is because of ignorance (people not familar with a manual), not some inherant design flaw.

sure there are some freak cars out there with bad cogs and seals, and maybe a few whom never really learn from the owner(s) driving habits.

and yeah, John I wanna see pics... or it didnt happen :)

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
Seems you have an axe to grind... curious as to why?...

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
This may be stating the obvious but as there are forums for nearly all makes and models you better believe that ALL the manufacturers have people monitoring them and they have for years.

Nothing wrong with it either.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts