Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i should probably know this but MA is really stupid. I'm curious as to if interior lighting (under dash LED's, LED's in door/vents, etc.) is legal to have on while driving. I know that in MA you can't have underglow installed on your car, but I was curious as to if there is any rule with interior lighting. I couldn't find anything on the mass RMV site or on an inspection checklist from the mass.gov site. just curious if anyone knows.

i just ask because my friend is hiding his switches and mine are in the open, just want to know if I should hide them or not.

Thanks

P.S. none of the lighting would be showing outside (minus the puddle lights but that's while the car is off)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interior lighting is legal to have on your vehicle and so is underbody lighting, the only catch is you can't have either on while driving. It is legal to have them in your car and you can use them just not while driving. That is the law in Minnesota but i'm pretty sure it's the same nationwide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, That's what I thought. Sadly I'm doing blue and UV (the blue could be like "police impersonation" or something, but like I said The lights won't be showing outward so That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks mucho!

·
Registered
547 Posts
back when I was working at a shop in Michigan, there were a few limitations... Certain colors were no no's. Blue was the big one. You could add all the lighting you needed to "enhance driving conditions, while not distracting other drivers". The only real law we ran across for interior lights, is you cannot see the light source (bulb) from outside the vehicle. This made the "glow" legal. We also handed out some advice when doing this... If the police are pulling you over, due to lighting, there is likely another reason. And always use common sense. A glowing orbe speeding down the freeway will get pulled over.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
ok i dont see how it is illegal to have when cars come with this STOCK now. Ford and toyota would not be selling cars that are no street legal.

If you are allowed to use it wile driveing i dont know, but both toyota(scions) come with dealer installed interior lighting, and ford is offering the 2008 focus from the factory with interior lighting.

I know in my state even under body lights are legal, and are allowed to be on WILE driveing. The only catch is you can not see the bulb for under body kits.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it is different state wide but as long as they are not blue its fine....from what i know a buddy of mine had blue leds for his turns and when he got pulled over for speeding the cop told hi to change the color because any blue lighting on a car is against the law

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
jasonzx3 said:
it is different state wide but as long as they are not blue its fine....from what i know a buddy of mine had blue leds for his turns and when he got pulled over for speeding the cop told hi to change the color because any blue lighting on a car is against the law
on the outside blue is a no no, because it is a police color, but on the INSIDE of the car, scion and ford and i think dodge offer BLUE interior lighting STOCK on there cars.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
rpvitiello said:
ok i dont see how it is illegal to have when cars come with this STOCK now. Ford and toyota would not be selling cars that are no street legal.

If you are allowed to use it wile driveing i dont know, but both toyota(scions) come with dealer installed interior lighting, and ford is offering the 2008 focus from the factory with interior lighting.

I know in my state even under body lights are legal, and are allowed to be on WILE driveing. The only catch is you can not see the bulb for under body kits.
you can do quite a few LED's on the door circuit
its very effective.

ive got 12 right now placed around the cabin and 6 in the dome.

(my resistors are too big and pull alot too, bad circuit design)

on the fader that works out to a slight overload but
( the fader - as long as you dont go over the electrical load what was originally there you should be good)

that way you can say "look officer, i dont drive down the road with my door open and its the only time they are on" here check it out they even fade!

one of these days ill do a write up.
you can see my previous threads and all in this section...

·
Registered
176 Posts
A good friend of mine had a Scion Xb that had factory-installed red lights under the front seats. They were controlled from a switch in the center console. If that wasn't legal, you KNOW they would have been wired to the parking brake or some such nonsense. The Scion was purchased new in New Mexico in March of '05 (an '04 close out) and totalled in June of '07. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
back when I was working at a shop in Michigan, there were a few limitations... Certain colors were no no's. Blue was the big one. You could add all the lighting you needed to "enhance driving conditions, while not distracting other drivers". The only real law we ran across for interior lights, is you cannot see the light source (bulb) from outside the vehicle. This made the "glow" legal. We also handed out some advice when doing this... If the police are pulling you over, due to lighting, there is likely another reason. And always use common sense. A glowing orbe speeding down the freeway will get pulled over.
I live in Michigan and im wanting to hook up interior lights that are hard wired into my amp that runs my subs and speakers in my truck. What would be the "no no's" for lights and what are the precautions for having them in the truck while driving them down the road. I am also going to connect a toggle switch to the lights. So I will be able to turn them off and on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im pretty sure you can have any type of lighting in your car as long as it sits below the dash. Anything above that is considered a book light and is illegal to have on while driving.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
785 Posts
See, I have red under glow by the gas pedals and under the glove box. Basically lights up the floor. INSIDE the car. That's allowed to be on. We in winnipeg can't have any lights ON under the car or anywhere outside the car while driving. If the lights are on you can only be parked. That's it.

I think my dad helped make that law so this is what he told me.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Here in Texas any lighting bright enough to blind out seeing a dark road at night is asking for it. Do it all you want stopped but I've been stopped for stupidly trying to read a map at night with regular dome light on. I certainly deserved it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i also was wondering since cant find anythang bout say u hav van and u have subs and amp are u aloud to hook led lights to flash with the bass?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts