Ford Focus Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
I guess I am lucky. I have 9000 miles on the car and haven't really experienced any serious issues. The only thing I notice is when the car is warmed up or has been going for a while and then I pull away from a stop there is a shutter from the clutch. But I don't want to take it in to have the programming checked and redone and have a screwed up more trans lol. I say keep talking with your dealership and explain these issues and buy the extended warranty.

But I have no qualms about buying the DCT. I do not like the gearing in the MTX 75 at all. Just a personal choice there.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I guess I am lucky. I have 9000 miles on the car and haven't really experienced any serious issues. The only thing I notice is when the car is warmed up or has been going for a while and then I pull away from a stop there is a shutter from the clutch. But I don't want to take it in to have the programming checked and redone and have a screwed up more trans lol. I say keep talking with your dealership and explain these issues and buy the extended warranty.

But I have no qualms about buying the DCT. I do not like the gearing in the MTX 75 at all. Just a personal choice there.
You may reconsider that my car was primarily a highway monster, and it seems the faulty software is what burned mine out. Mine needed new clutches and module at 40k +/-, and hadn't manifested itself at 9000.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You may reconsider that my car was primarily a highway monster, and it seems the faulty software is what burned mine out. Mine needed new clutches and module at 40k +/-, and hadn't manifested itself at 9000.
Hmmm might be getting an ST. That doesn't sound good

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmmm might be getting an ST. That doesn't sound good
I've been looking at a manual Focus..........we'll see how the fix goes when hopefully I get the car back tomorrow. I'm upside down so it promises to be expensive if I do. My own experience though suggests making sure the programming is up to date as Ford keeps changing it up in response to the issues for what it's worth.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been looking at a manual Focus..........we'll see how the fix goes when hopefully I get the car back tomorrow. I'm upside down so it promises to be expensive if I do. My own experience though suggests making sure the programming is up to date as Ford keeps changing it up in response to the issues for what it's worth.
Will do. Good luck to you

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Last week was told the car would be done today. Left message for service advisor Friday night inquiring about relevance of latest TSB released after I put car in for service while it was waiting for repair. Service advisor called and said latest TSB advises removal and CLEANING of clutches as opposed to replacement of packs, but that since parts were ordered and approved mine would be finished today with replacement of packs. Even he expressed utter doubt and bewilderment to effectiveness of that fix.

Love the car, dealership continues to impress, but if that's true going forward Ford seems to be taking a big step back in its commitment to ailing DCT users.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I was told that the dct in the new fiesta is vastly improved (I forget the magazine/publication that it was in). So that's a good sign. Will have them check my car when I go to get an oil change.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I can believe that, the '13 loaner I have drives nice, almost no deviant behavior at all.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Got the car back this morning after exactly two weeks, and drove it about 75 miles home and on errands. Man what an improvement, better than new or the loaner '13, and that includes about 9 miles of grim stop and go traffic through downtown Seattle. This may not last and be long term, but if it does I'm going to be happy. Worlds better.

Dealer was great.....ALMOST a 100% experience, except after I parked and came back to the car I noticed that they put dealer plate surrounds front and rear without my permission. Was quite annoyed to have to take them off and discard them.....no dealer should EVER put something on a customer car without explicit permission. Otherwise the dealer was amazing.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Taking the car in tomorrow to have the trans looked at, oil change, tire rotation, sync update, and have the clunking noise from the front struts checked (pretty sure there is a TSB for that also)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is a TSB for noisey strut bearings. My 2012 Focus has already had the left strut bearing replaced and is going in to get the right side done as soon as the parts get here. My wife's 2013 Escape just got the left side done. The noise is a kind of creaking, squeaking noise and is most noticeable at parking lot speeds on small bumps that jiggle the car.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Appointment has been made. Dropping car off tonight. They will be working on it tomorrow. We will see how it goes

·
Registered
883 Posts
There is a TSB for noisey strut bearings. My 2012 Focus has already had the left strut bearing replaced and is going in to get the right side done as soon as the parts get here. My wife's 2013 Escape just got the left side done. The noise is a kind of creaking, squeaking noise and is most noticeable at parking lot speeds on small bumps that jiggle the car.
Yep told them about it. They are going to look into it. I know there is a TSB 12-3-something I believe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Car is at the dealership (dropped it off last night). We will see what they say about the transmission. I am sure they will probably just reset it as of now. Yay. But I will keep monitoring. Coming up on one year of ownership. Probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. I really love this thing. Lol. Anyway, will keep you posted.

Update: car is running like a champ tonight on the way home from the dealership. Seems that it was a really great update to the transmission programming. 13-4-5 is the TSB you need to have the dealership do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Glad to hear it man.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
How has yours been since the update?

Uh, mixed. Very good right after, up until this weekend and particularly today. Today made a 115mi drive home, but with about 15 miles of slow and stop and go in between with temps in the 70s. Upon getting back into my city the initial shudder on light throttle remains gone, but the transmission is louder sort of a grind/rattle on the 1-2 and some light/mild surging and weird behavior. On FocussFanatics in particular there is a some that feel that heat is the enemy, and they may be on to something. Overall improvement remains but I'm a little worried.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I had the update done Friday. So far I no longer feel the jerky shifting when the car is first started (it would last a few blocks, maybe a little more). The car also seems to shift more decisively, and upshifts and downshifts more appropriate, I think. Still too soon to be certain, though.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I loved the car dearly, but I just couldn't develop any faith in the transmission's longevity. So last week I traded it on a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi, breaking my four Ford streak.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts