Ford Focus Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yeah, great on paper... when it's not got a blade in a vortex ring state or an engine clogged with dust ingestion or a computer freezing up. You're right about Fallujah... it appears I meant the "first time" we fought there, in the spring of '04 (27 servicemen and 4 mercs KIA)... but give the Osprey more time, it is certain to catch up.
I'm not sure what your source is about the Osprey, but the two pilots I know who fly them have become fans. The vortex ring state was a big problem early on...that was the big issue with the EP overhaul. As far as the rest...welcome to every aircraft. My last five E-3 flights all ended with in-flight emergencies, for example.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Besides reading news articles from various sources, my source is my son. He was/is a Marine... been out for <3 years. The Air Force pilots may enjoy the Osprey, who knows, maybe the Marine PILOTS enjoy it, but the grunts have a series of derisive names for it... of course, "Widowmaker" is one... and there are no "love names". I'd say it's not a morale booster for its primary user, the Marine Corps.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Blame it on the brass. There should not have been ANY passengers on an aircraft that early in testing, much less a full load of people. They wanted flashy headlines. The Osprey actually has an better safety record compared to the helicopters it'll eventually replace. It's one of the most successful major weapons system acquisition programs of the past 30 years.

In 19 years of development and testing, they lost FOUR aircraft. That's impressive as hell. The problem is that one of those crashes had 19 Marines on board...and the pilots exceeded published flight parameters which stalled a wing and induced the vortex ring state and brought down the aircraft. Pilot error. In fact, almost all the crashes during testing and since becoming operational were pilot error, including the Air Force crash in Afghanistan.

As usual, the Marines' greatest threat is themselves.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
True, and the whole Military's greatest threats are the R&D procurement contracts it writes with it's industry "friends"... in fact, that's the one great threat to our entire country's security, economic well-being, and longevity, once they follow it up with a misguided production contract and cost overruns.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
No argument here. I've seen the kind of stupidity that results from the stranglehold a handful of companies have over our government firsthand, even in actual operations.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
I suppose IS will now begin telling their children that there is a second way to get to heaven and screw virgins... besides just blowing themselves up, now they can become food tasters.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I suppose IS will now begin telling their children that there is a second way to get to heaven and screw virgins... besides just blowing themselves up, now they can become food tasters.

Forces we can deal with..an ideal..I'm not so sure. It was a nonchalance post by me.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
My post above still stands..what do we do? Education? Eradication ?

Or are we that far away, from what each other thinks into what we should lead our lives, that no dialogue can overcome our differences?

·
Registered
615 Posts
My post above still stands..what do we do? Education? Eradication ?

Or are we that far away, from what each other thinks into what we should lead our lives, that no dialogue can overcome our differences?
Dialogue only works if everybody is willing to listen. I doubt that either side is close yet. I do think that this is a problem that will eventually dissipate.

Sanctions are being lifted off Iran, now they have something to lose. Plus, zero of the Islamist states recognize the Caliphate, which doesn't bode well for its preordained existence.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Sanctions are being lifted off Iran.

Only because the main groups that are attacking IS are Shia....(as is Iran), Yes. I know the kurds are fighting them , but that is more a historic battle to find the kurds a homeland.

Oh! Aren't Saudi and a host of free living folks around that area sending air-strikes against shia rebels attempting to overrun Yemen. Are they Sunni those that are attacking them?

Answers of a postcard..

Sky-pilots...(:)rolleyes:))

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Let me put it to you this way and this is straight from my buddy that just got back from a deployment at GITMO. "They are at a 5 star resort down there practically when you put it in perspective to most jails/prisons inside the U.S." The orange jumpsuit thing was middle 2000's stuff. I'm glad someone in the world has some balls to do something in return so props to Jordan. Counter-execution would work because that's exactly their thinking. ISIS knows the US isn't just going to chop someones head off on the 5 o'clock news, or kill some prisoner period. They think our government is a bunch of pussies and they're right. If we did start doing that, I'm pretty sure they'd get the message that we aren't ****ing around anymore. Sure it isn't a good PR stunt at all for a country like ours, but if we grew some balls and said "Okay, you want to kill an American? Here's two of your terrorists buddies heads. Nice little cross-court chest pass, balls in your court now."

-Matt

Says you!:rolleyes:

How many detanees have been released from gitmo, without charge?

And BTW.. yOU sound almost tribal with this revenge crap...that's how we got her in the first place.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Give it a few more years and we'll be fighting another brand of religious fanatics. Whatever diety they worship?
I'm really hoping it'll be pastafarians next, we could use a victory...

Sent from my iPhone accidentally, due to the gate being left ajar

·
Registered
152 Posts
Usual first step to get & hold power - blame it all on an outside enemy. Works the same for any internal group, but the outside world doesn't get involved as fast.

The elect against everyone else, make your followers feel good and give them a target.

Trump's isolationism follows the same mantra, he's got both immigrant groups to blame and the rest of the World to act tough against.

Hope it doesn't take hold here, but the reaction to dealing with World problems is trending that way. Helps to have convenient enemies to use, and "me first" is attractive to many.

The idea of uniting with Muslims against Isis is an anathema to his cause.

Oh bleep, I got started again....

181 - 199 of 199 Posts