Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of power-folding mirrors from Ford Parts UK and am currently neck-deep in wiring harnesses to make this install OEM+ as f...

http://fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_power_folding_electric_mirrors_f_KITMIRROR1.htm

This is what they look like in action (not sure if this car is someone's here or not):

It comes with both mirrors, a replacement mirror adjustment switch that controls the folding motors, and a Ford relay.

Left mirror: 2M51-17683-AC
Right mirror: 2M51-17682-AC
Switch: 1S7T-17B676-AA
Relay: 1S7T-17L684-AA

Our member here "tezza" in the UK has had these on his car for some time and sent me his wiring diagrams to look over. (I'll put a link here soon) I was also able to get the Ford wiring diagram, so I decided I was going to make this wiring job look as straight out of Japan as possible. :thumbup:

The first problem: the connectors for these mirrors are different than the US mirror connectors. With Steve from Tousley's help, we located the correct pigtail from Motorcraft that would connect to the mirrors:

WPT-1034
(3U2Z-14S411-ZTB)

When I got them, they fit perfectly, but the wires that Motorcraft uses for their pigtail kits are pretty thick... I believe 14awg... and all of them are black. This bothered my insane sense of detail, plus a mass of thick wires and a larger connector would make things get fairly tight behind the little plastic cover at the corner of our windows. So instead of using these, I decided I'd mod the mirror connectors to connect to the US harness and add a small 2-pin connector for the folding motors on each side, rationalized by the fact that if I needed to replace these mirrors for whatever reason, I could still use US mirrors.

Being as mega-OEM+ douchetyte as I am, I'll be damned if I'm not going to use the stock door connectors to hook these mirrors up! No cut rubber boots and cheap grommets here! :lol: The passenger side connector has plenty of available spots to add pins, but the driver side doesn't (on my car, which only has one on the driver side. 4- and 5-door Focuses have two connectors). Off to the junkyard, cause I'm going to add that second connector! ;)

I grabbed spare door harnesses and mirror connectors from a number of cars, but the real challenge was getting the inner door connector. Fortunately I found one car without doors and a stripped interior, so I was able to easily get to it. :rock:

As I said, I'm still in the middle of the wiring part itself... I've just finished getting the second inner door connector set up as I need it:

These pins will all connect to the relay (one is from the switch; the other two are from the driver side folding motor). I'll have full diagrams up soon and of course, plenty of pics as work progresses. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Nice work Cayse. You are truly dedicated to your craft :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Awesome so far CaysE. We will obviously be turning to you for these LOL.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
if you dont mind me asking, how much did the mirrors, relay and switch cost?
About £254 British pounds or $390 US dollars for just the mirrors not counting any shipping cost.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next up is to start salvaging parts for the door harnesses. The dual-connector boot will have to get swapped on, along with the second connector and some wires. The mirror switch normally only has 7 pins in an 8-cavity connector, and the eighth one will be used to activate the relay. Since I completely took apart a spare harness, I just grabbed an existing wire that went from the mirror switch to the door connector, this way I already have the correct length and pins needed, no soldering required! ;)

Disassembling the spare harness. Getting the pin retainers (the white center parts) out of these connectors is quite a challenge.

Mirror switch connector and the pins from one of the wires leading to it:

My replacement door wiring boot.

I also removed the wiring harness from my driver side door to start adding the wires, boot and extra connector to it.

More to come... it's supposed to be a nice day tomorrow! :)

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've been eyeing those mirrors for a long time, but the wiring aspect has always been a bit daunting for me. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Maybe then I'll have the courage to dig into that upgrade myself.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
So much win in this mod. Your car is truly amazing.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now to add the new wires, connector and boot to my existing harness. Before removing all of the pins from the connector, make sure you have a pinout diagram, or tediously write down every single wire's pin location. (Note: one of my wires was not the color indicated in the Ford wiring manual!)

Once the connector is off, the boot slides right off, too. The first challenge is to feed all of your wires into the new boot. It's best to compress the flex sections so there are minimal areas for the pins to get caught:

Once they're all back in, reattach the connector to all of your existing pins just as they were stock. Make sure you put the locking ring around the wires first. I found it easiest to work from the center out:

Next up is to add the three wires for the folding motors. As mentioned previously, one of the wires already has the correct pins on both ends; this goes into Pin 8 of the mirror switch connector, and the other end goes into your 2nd door connector. The other two wires connect from the 2nd door connector to the folding motor wires on the mirrors. The challenge here is getting the wires through the rubber grommet that mounts to the inner door frame near the speaker. I used a small screwdriver and stretched it up to feed each pin through:

Once that's done, you'll be at the point below, with all three wires through the grommet and out the second hole in the boot, the mirror switch wire connected, and two loose wires for the motor:

Attach the 2nd door connector and seat everything, and you end up with this:

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The next part is to tape up the wires. You have two choices here: remove all of the existing tape (and mounting clips, to be reattached later) and retape the whole thing, or leave the existing tape and just tape over it. I opted for the latter:

The section between the boot and the grommet should be fully covered, but the remainder can be a partial wrap since it's inside the moisture barrier of the door. It comes like this from the factory. Route the two spare wires with the 5-pin mirror connector.

For the folding motor wires, I added 2-pin connectors I got from Radio Shack. They're not the best option, but they'll work for me. You might wish to use Ford connectors if you can find some 2-pin sets to pull off of a junkyard car. For me, this is temporary, as I plan to build a whole new harness to include auto-up/-down windows in the future. This is what I ended up with:

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Continuing...

With the door harness finished, install it back into the door. In the first post, I showed the body-side door connector, which now needs to be installed. Pop off the plastic cover here:

And then remove the kick and knee panels inside the car:

It's a tight fit, but I was able to maneuver the connector behind the firewall padding and into the hole in the body. Note the white alignment dot (there's only one way the connector will go in) and then twist to lock in place.

Hook up both connectors and admire your handiwork! :)

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not done yet! :) Still have to set up the interior wiring and then redo the mirror connectors. Unfortunately I had to get my power steering pump replaced and I don't have all the tools I need here, so I'm waiting on that to be done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts