Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got sandwiched on the freeway (driver behind me didn't stop in time and pushed me into a truck), and the person who hit me fled the scene, so i got stuck with the cost of repairs, and now i need paint.

I went to my local automotive paint store, and had them mix me up a pint of PPG paint in the paint code "CW" which is what is marked on the Kona's tag. Apparently the official name for this color is Briarwood beige pearl metallic. The paint looked pretty close when i tested it on a piece of paper, but once i did a test spray on a piece of aluminum, it looks much different. Did Ford use a special mix of paint for the Kona? I have also heard from people that cars coming from different factories, or production times will have slightly different color.

check out the difference below, i am comparing it to a piece of the fender that is under trim, so i should not be faded.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
it is not fade at all..ppg paint screwed on mixture ratio and materials of this and that.
metal flake have changed, they mixed more of red instead of using orange.
i ordered same cw from same place and i could compare mixtures and there was differences.

before 2005

asked them to put in spray can, color matched perfect(hatch strip)

after 2005

as you can see, there is color differences, same cw from same ppg, same place.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is not fade at all...
as you can see, there is color differences, same cw from same ppg, same place.
Ok, at least I know someone else is having the same problem as me. I wonder if a different paint manufacturer will have the right color

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
different manufacture will have the right colour for sure, not sure about the brand name though.

back in 2010, i had to repaint front bumper..
bodyshop who uses other than ppg, matched kona colour perfect without having my car there while getting painted.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Had my front bumper redone 2 years ago and they matched(non ppg) my color perfectly. Also just had some mixed into a spray can and painted a wing the other day. Color looks to match about perfectly.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I wonder if du pont paint will match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts