Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am interested in anyone's experience with the M Factory clutch plate LSD in the MTX-75. I just had one installed with an M Factory final drive gear and it clunks and stutters significantly when turning unless I'm delivering significant power. I know clutch diffs make noise, and the transmission shop that installed it said that is normal, but I just had the car into my regular shop and they freaked out, telling me 'its going to f'ing explode' I don't have any previous experience with an aftermarket diff - what is a normal or problematic amount of noise and stutter at low speed or tight turns?
This is a 2003 ZX3 2.3 rally car and not a daily driver if it matters. I'd appreciate any insights or advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume that the fluid is whatever Ford specifies, I can probably call the shop and find out. I know they spent a lot of time working out the shimming because they pushed my pickup date by 3 days working to get it sorted out. I did reach out to MFactory and they said that kind of noise is normal - I guess I'll find out at the next race... Thanks for the response.

·
I
13,302 Posts
I assume that the fluid is whatever Ford specifies, I can probably call the shop and find out. I know they spent a lot of time working out the shimming because they pushed my pickup date by 3 days working to get it sorted out. I did reach out to MFactory and they said that kind of noise is normal - I guess I'll find out at the next race... Thanks for the response.
No problem - I did find this:
When installing your MFactory Helical LSD, only use Torco Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). This is the only oil MFactory recommend. It is also recommended to install new diff bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I'll probably flush and fill it with the MFactory recommended fluid just to be sure, but the question is more of 'how loud should it be' The guy at my normal shop didn't want to let me drive it home because it is so loud and stuttering that he was sure my transmission or axles would grenade themselves on the highway - hes got me worried, and I don't know what is normal noise and what is problematic for these diffs. I found a couple youtube videos that seem to show similar noises from plate diffs, so I guess I am just going to roll with it. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the m factory lsd in my SVT, no noise at all in mine. I’d definitely take it back to the transmission shop and call BS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts