Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Ignition Cylinder Help. Now with Pics!!!

Thanks to Steve (FORDSVTPARTS)...he helped me with this a few weeks ago...so I used most of his instructions, and added some stuff. Everybody's had problems with this...and everybody thinks that it is going to cost a ton of money, or you have to drill it out...well you dont...here it is:

1. To replace the cylinder you just remove the column shrouds to gain access to the cylinder, you will need to be able to turn the cylinder to remove it the easy way.

2. If you are having probems getting your key to turn then try the old "hit it with the palm of your hand method". This should be enough to get the key turned.

3. Turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn to the right so that you have easy access to the lock cylinder, and some working room. With the key turned to the "on" position, there is a small hole in the housing, that the cylinder goes into, that faces towards the driver, Use a small pick or philips screwdriver or whatever will go in the hole, push in the release pin inside the hole and the cylinder slides right out.

4. If you absolutely can't turn it you will have to drill it out or take it in somewhere and have the job done.

5. Once the old cylinder is out the new one slides in by aligning the "d" shape inside and it will now work, Thats it.

Note: Most dealerships will build the cylider to match your keys, some charge for this and others don't. Just call the parts department, give them your VIN...and they can look up your Key Code, cut you a Non-Programed PATS key, and build your new ignition cylinder off of that. Or you can take them your programed key (if you have a spare). If you are like most if us that leave your key in the ignition once you start having this problem...DONT TAKE IT OUT. This will help you in the removal of the broken cylinder. Hope this clears up everyones questions.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:lol:
are you talking about me!
:lol:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so is it best to get a focus replacement cylinder then? cuz I heard something at one point about getting a explorer cylinder and they can cut it to your key and that it doesnt have this problem. how much are the cylinders?

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
j20000 said:
Hope this clears up everyones questions.
Dude, this is a huge help. :thumbup:

Thank you in advance should I ever need these instructions.

·
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Z63R said:
Dude, this is a huge help. :thumbup:

Thank you in advance should I ever need these instructions.
Anytime Chris...I do what I can. Since I have had my car since 2000, I have had pretty much every problem one could have with a Foci. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
got one question.... well, maybe a couple. right now, i can't get my key to turn at all. i've read somewhere that a slide hammer will do the trick, but do i have to have the key turned in order to make the slide hammer work, or can i just screw a screw into the keyhole and pull it that way?

second question... i ordered a motorcraft cylinder to replace the old one, how do i key it or will i have to have a locksmith do that?

i really hope someone can help me...

·
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can have any of the parts guys at the ford dealership set the tumblers for your key. You should be able to jar the ignition loose by putting the key in the ignition and hitting the key with the palm of your hand a few times. you only need to turn the key that one time to get it out. If you cant get it...then the job does get a little tricky. You will have to drill it out. I dont really have an answer for you on the slide hammer, as I have never done it...but I would try to get the ignition cylinder loose by the method I mentioned. Good luck...if you have any more questions...feel free to send me a PM and I will do the best I can to answer them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My key will go in and out of the ignition cylinder with no problem, but the key will not turn at all. My steering wheel is locked and I can't move it for anything. Should I just give up and take her to the dealer or is there another way to get the cylinder out? I don't have much money being a single mom....please help!

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
blackgrrl23 said:
My key will go in and out of the ignition cylinder with no problem, but the key will not turn at all. My steering wheel is locked and I can't move it for anything. Should I just give up and take her to the dealer or is there another way to get the cylinder out? I don't have much money being a single mom....please help!
Seriously, you're in a situation where drilling it or getting professional help is needed.

·
I am Teds custom title. Not anything like the one
2,916 Posts
oh yes,im glad you posted this because im about to hit my 3rd lock ign. cylinder:rant:

so i appreciate the instructions with photo's:thumbup:

·
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, its the least I can do...I turn my misfortune into a learning experience for all ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
ax0n said:
Seriously, you're in a situation where drilling it or getting professional help is needed.

Actually the day after this I hit the key with a hammer and it has been working OK ever since! :lol:

I still ride with a spare ignition cylinder and a printout of these instructions in the glovebox just in case :p

·
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
blackgrrl23 said:
Actually the day after this I hit the key with a hammer and it has been working OK ever since! :lol:

I still ride with a spare ignition cylinder and a printout of these instructions in the glovebox just in case :p
:eek: :eek: Change that thing already...do it while you still can, so that you dont have to drill it out. ;)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine sat for a couple weeks, stubbornly refusing to allow any ket rotion despite repeated taps with the palm of my hand and even a hammer on many occasions. I finely decided to suck it up and drill it out. But moments ago, figuring I had nothing to lose, I whacked the sh** out of it with a hammer and it worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
opus1 said:
Contact Mike at b16sir1991 in ff, He works for Ford Parts & can get you a new unit w/extra door key for $65.00 shipped. He will also personally built it to your FIN #.
Hey. I need to look into this. I have a sticky ignition. Could you give me some more details on this exactly. Contact mike at b16sir1991 in ff? I'm not sure what that means. Also, I bought my 2001 Focus used, how do I know what my FIN # is? Any help? Thanks.

·
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fitzfocus said:
Hey. I need to look into this. I have a sticky ignition. Could you give me some more details on this exactly. Contact mike at b16sir1991 in ff? I'm not sure what that means. Also, I bought my 2001 Focus used, how do I know what my FIN # is? Any help? Thanks.
OK...here is a little help for you. b16sir1991 is the guys screen name...and FF is "Focus Fanatics" its another Focus forum (www.focusfanatics.com) But I would contact Steve (FORDSVTPARTS) on here or send me a PM, I just got one for Cruizin4L from my dad...he is a Ford Parts Manager. I dont see how that guy is getting them for people at $65 with a PATS key...that was a pretty big hook up. If you get it from Steve or my Dad, its gonna be about $110. Oh...FIN# was supposed to be VIN#. The Ford dealership can cut you a key and build an ignition cylinder off of your VIN#.

1 - 20 of 362 Posts