Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new car to replace the '12 Outback I had a few weekends ago! I drove 6 hours to Buckner, KY to pickup this Fost with ST3 package with just over 11k miles. My wife autocrossed with me and loved it so she decided to let me buy a new car that she would be more comfortable driving from time to time as a DD and I can occasionally autox. The 03' will be the primary autox machine but I have some repairs to do to that after the last event...

At pickup.

First fuel up.

Next to its older smaller, slower, brother

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My Last event where my wife and I co-drove. This was her first time driving in autox.

Loaded up for the day

In Grid

Wife's Runs

My Runs:

Afternoon course sucked because there was a portion where I was airborne every run. Definitely have to fix something up front now as you can hear some of the obnoxious clunking...
The result of my afternoon runs...

Cleaned up and waiting for money to buy new front springs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have an ambitious goal for next year and the following year.

I think I may attempt to build the '03 to be a national Auto-x competitor (Let's use the term loosely). The big kicker will be if they eliminate the STF category as I have seen & heard discussed. If that happens it could derail my goals.

Short list of needs:
-Polybushings all around
-Camber adjustment front and rear
-complete rear disk brake swap.
-Fix front spring
-tune the engine/do a refresh/swap in the motor from parts car (Don's Car) with much lower miles and less abuse.
-New clutch
-Revised intake (Currently has Steeda SRI, AKA Hot Air Induction System.
-Read the rules and see how to push them...
-2018 drive my ass off next year and attend pro-solo events
-2019 repeat 2018 and drive to Lincoln, NE.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 1: pealed the old Lamin-x off the '03 and installed new.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update 2: added a front plate to the car with something other than zip ties. Blocks the intercooler some but for normal driving it should be fine. Easy to remove when I autocross or something. Had to drill four holes into the under tray for the install.

Partially debagded the hatch and pealed off the dealer sticker.

Also installed Lamin-x on the headlights. I have yellow to put on the fogs but didn't feel like removing the fogs for the install so that'll have to wait for now.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran my ST yesterday with my Wife. ZX3 will be shelved from autox duty for awhile. ST will be getting GS prepped effective immediately.

My Runs

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wife's Runs

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Photos from the weekend:

Getting ready for the day

Getting ready for our first run

Rounding one of the last turns before the finish

Upgrades for the ST:

Can't wait to install them and go for a short test drive tonight!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, Auto-x was hella fun when I did in my SVTF. Can imagine a ST is just as fun!
Its a blast! Everything is better with boost!

Wheels temporarily installed for break-in. They're about a half inch shorter than stock and I don't want to rack up too many "Fake" miles driving around like that nor do I want to wear the tires out too quickly.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My First Autox in the ST on RE71R tires. Got first place in GS.

My Fastest Run:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Wife's fastest Run in the ST. She got 6th in GS and missed fifth by .045 seconds. Not bad for he third ever autox.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered hawk HP Plus pads today. After the last event with two driver's I had severe brake fade to the point I could put the pedal to the floor with zero lock up. I'll keep the stock pads for daily duty through winter and run the HP plus to finish the season.

If I find it not too tedious I may switch back and forth between events and have read the HP plus are quite noisy when cold.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ran Two Events this Weekend came in 3rd Saturday out of three drivers coned away first place on my last run... 16th out of 40 in PAX overall. I let a friend drive my car in the fun runs he beat my time by about 1.5 seconds... He's going to help me train for Nats next year.

Video from Saturday

Sunday my camera died and I couldn't find my charger so no video from the day.

On Sunday I place 4th out 4 drivers. I couldn't get a clean run to save my life and it showed in my results. I was 11th in Pax out of 50 Drivers.

My Wife took 4th in Novice class. She missed 3rd by .002 in PAX for the Novice class! This was her 4th event and her 1st time in a very open fast paced course. She learned a lot and definitely had more potential but she was more nervous because of the higher speeds. She learned the importance of pacing and finding a rhythm for the runs.

There are two events left that I might be able to attend and I am hoping that my wife and I can go to both and practice what we've been learning at the end of the season.

Photos From Sunday Taken By a Friend:

Reviewing Setup and talking Strategy with my wife between runs.

Car loaded up at the end of the day...Too much stuff...

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My last autox of the season.

My fastest run from last weekend. Good enough for first in GS, 21st in PAX out 143 drivers

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Wife's fastest run. 5th ever autox, she got 3rd in GS and 74th overall. She's improving a lot each event and is getting better at building a tempo for her runs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today's event that went much better than my event yesterday on a very similar course. Not many showed up due to chilly weather and possible rain/snow mix so runs went super fast.

Today I finished third in Overall PAX, 9th Overall in RAW time and 3rd in GS. I alreadys see areas where I braked too soon or carried speed in bad ways plus a few bad apex's.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Test fit the wheels & tires I got off a guy on Facebook for rubbing issues. Tires are essentially new 255-40 RE71R's on OZ Ultraleggeras in 17x8 55 offset that I plan to use at all my national level events this year. Meat stance!

I'm not normally a fan of black but I really like the way these look!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some better pictures from the test fit last week. I was worried about the tire rubbing the strut but I ended up having 5-8 mm of clearance so no issues!

Don't mind the cone marks I have been to lazy to remove. The passenger side is considerably worse though.

I have to say that I usually don't like black wheels but I really like the way these looked and I really didn't want to take them off because how much I liked the look.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The old Focus lives! Driving it while the ST is in the shop to finish my sway bar install. I decided to sheer bolts off the sway mounts and couldn't get it out... Drove the old car Saturday about 50 miles to charge the dead battery. She did well in the snow we got on Saturday. First time I've taken it out in a snow storm in about 4 years or so.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts