Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the idea of photography and my new focus has really made me want to get involved in automotive photography! I looked up the D3100 after a couple of people told me it was good! All around good reviews and stills and videos look great for what im doing! Along with good stills i really want to take videos like this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEPihUIn9zQ

Ive always been wanting to do these and I'm sure a good editing program is needed to do this but thats a different topic! Would just like some insight from people with camera experience

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a d3000. I would say with any of them get the user guides for them at a Barnes and noble or something. Can't hurt. I enjoy my camera. I will say that with Canon's you can swap the lenses with other makers. Nikon's not so much.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

I have the D3100 but don't use it a lot anymore. I only bring it out to cover events which is rare nowadays. :p

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I would look into a better quality point n shoot to start. Get the idea of placing the object in your frame, adjusting the settings, using photo editing software, and then make the leap into a DSLR. The best equipment in the hands of some one who can't use it will not give the best results.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would look into a better quality point n shoot to start. Get the idea of placing the object in your frame, adjusting the settings, using photo editing software, and then make the leap into a DSLR. The best equipment in the hands of some one who can't use it will not give the best results.
Thanks for the input! I have a "ok" point and shoot and want to venture out in to more detailed photography that is more controlled by me then stupid buttons and automated sensors! I think im gonna pick this one up in a couple of weeks! Ill give a beginner to DSLR's review on how simple it is or isn't! Either way ill eventually get the hang of it

·
MS Paint PWNS ME!
9,807 Posts
The DSLR has a full auto mode, and even using that the pictures will look better than what a point and shoot can give you. I don't think it's smart money wise to buy a point and shoot to then buy a DSLR later if you can afford the DSLR now.

I never owned a camera before I got my Canon DSLR a year ago. I used plenty of point and shoots, but never the same one consistently.

You won't be an expert right away, but the more you play with it the more you'll learn. And as you learn, you can venture away from full automatic mode.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DSLR has a full auto mode, and even using that the pictures will look better than what a point and shoot can give you. I don't think it's smart money wise to buy a point and shoot to then buy a DSLR later if you can afford the DSLR now.

I never owned a camera before I got my Canon DSLR a year ago. I used plenty of point and shoots, but never the same one consistently.

You won't be an expert right away, but the more you play with it the more you'll learn. And as you learn, you can venture away from full automatic mode.
Agree with all of this

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Josh is right on the fact that a DSLR will take better quality pics than a point and shoot. My point was more of just saying if you've never taken pictures getting a DSLR isn't going to get you the best pics in the world. Your still going to need to learn. Also yeah if you can afford DSLR then get it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Josh is right on the fact that a DSLR will take better quality pics than a point and shoot. My point was more of just saying if you've never taken pictures getting a DSLR isn't going to get you the best pics in the world. Your still going to need to learn. Also yeah if you can afford DSLR then get it.
Understand completely! I have a point and shoot now, don't use it often but i wanna take the next step up and get more involved in photography

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
OP is looking for a entry-level DSLR - not a point and shoot.

Besides, the OP won't be able to learn manual with a point and shoot.

If you can get the D3100 at a good price, go for it. Otherwise getting a used DSLR or the D3200 is also a good way to start off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After a lot of research, I bought a D3100 for our office about a year ago. I take a lot of images for our publications. I feel this camera is an excellent value and has yet to let me down. No regrets. Two weeks ago I bought a Nikkor 55-200mm lens to supplement the stock 18-55mm lens. I doubt you would be disappointed if you were to invest in the D3100 kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
I do all of my photography with a point and shoot....

I bought a Canon SX-40 and IMO it takes great shots for what it is...PLUS, I have a full manual mode that I can adjust for just about any setting I want. Aperture, ISO, Focal point, Shutter Speed...anything and everything.

Here's an example of the quality of shots I get from my "Point and shoot"...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8381248169/

·
Registered
385 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, having a good camera doesn't make anyone a photographer. A good photographer can take great photos with even just a lowly little P&S.

I used to run with a Nikon P100. Looked like a DSLR but was basically a point and shoot with a great manual mode and 24x zoom or something like that.

But I digress.. the 3100's are great cameras and will more than meet your needs. You may want to pick up a good 50mm or 35mm right away, as those are 2 personal favorites for car shots.

Sent from my Man Cannon via Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yes, the D3100 is a fine camera. Do you ever plan on using more than one or two lenses, though? If not, you might be happier investing in a nice point and shoot like the Canon PowerShot SX60 or Nikon Coolpix P510.

It's your money, do what you want. A pro can make better photographs with a disposable film camera than an amateur can with an unlimited budget.

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
Colonel Mustard, they don't have the SX60 out so I assume it was just a typing mistake. Right now, Canon only has the SX50 and the SX40.

The SX50 has a 50mm lens while the SX40 has a 35mm lens. Both awesome cameras.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Colonel Mustard, they don't have the SX60 out so I assume it was just a typing mistake. Right now, Canon only has the SX50 and the SX40.

The SX50 has a 50mm lens while the SX40 has a 35mm lens. Both awesome cameras.
Haha yeah that's the one. My dad and stepmom both used the SX10 for years going hiking and birdwatching and other things like that. It was an ideal camera for them because it did everything and was small enough to take traveling and hiking without worrying about lugging around a ton of extra lenses. My dad recently upgraded to the SX40, which I imagine is the same camera with more resolution, higher ISO, and other random features.

To be clear, I'm not hating on DSLRs. I shoot with a D90 myself and love it. I also know a lot of friends who have wanted to "take better pictures," and years later they're still shooting in full auto and uploading the same crappy pictures, just in higher resolution.

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
Man, I've been following a lot of "photographers" on Facebook lately because I've been networking and I have seen a lot of people with high dollar DSLR's taking some of the worst shots imaginable. The camera does not give you an ounce of skill.

The best car imaginable does not make you the best driver ever....the same goes for cameras.

dave.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I've been following a lot of "photographers" on Facebook lately because I've been networking and I have seen a lot of people with high dollar DSLR's taking some of the worst shots imaginable. The camera does not give you an ounce of skill.

The best car imaginable does not make you the best driver ever....the same goes for cameras.

dave.
Completely agree! On the other hand, I have always bought pro quality items then learned how to use them properly. Using golf as an example, I went from massive cavity back golf clubs (for all you golfers that know what that is) to Taylormade tour preferred irons with no forgiveness that are used on the tour! The first week was brutal but if I did not buy those clubs and go through a trial and error process I would not be the scratch golfer I am today! In a camera sense, even though I do have knowledge on how to take great pictures with a point and shoot, i would like to take the steps to learn how to use a professional style camera witch will ultimately result in some bad shots! But like great people have said, you learn from your mistakes, not your triumphs!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think if you're looking at a small entry-level SLR like the D3100, you should take a look at some of the nicer mirrorless SLRs from Sony.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts