Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm welding up some frame rail support brackets for my uncles jeep (TIG); the brackets come pre-welded, mig'd, on the inside channel but my uncle wants the pieces totally sealed - so here is my question to ya'll.

After they weld, they must coat in something as i tig'd the first set the other night but i got an insane amount of gassing, enough to pooch my puddle in a few spots; this isn't a big deal - i just run the torch over with a little filler but it made me think of how other people are pre-cleaning small gaps - brakeclean is straight out for obvious reasons.

The gap is 1/32nd or less, and about 1/8" deep along the entire seam. I wire brushed and acetoned the easy to reach parts, but the inner gap is what is causing my issues.

Any tips?

While the prefix is steel this is applicable to all welding. Especially aluminum.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I have found that bug and tar remover will take off most rust prevention coatings pretty quickly. I don't think it has the same issues with residual chlorine and phosgene gas as brake part or some carb cleaners, but obviously you should check.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
what ive found is in tight spots it may be easier depending on how you can get at it to just mig weld it. mig isnt quite as bothered with impurities as much as tig. and frankly i ifnd tig useful in really only light detail and highly cosmetic critical stuff. always remember if you think what your welding on is bad. at least it isn't galvanized steel (which is a royal pita.)

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIG was out of the question as my uncle specifically asked for TIG. Why he wants a bead 1/8" wide on a frame rail is beyond me.

I'm thinking what i'll do is get a small spray bottle and direct feed acetone, then let dry, in the future. I haven't tried bug and tar remover but that's a great idea.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
If you have a part you can submerge, aircraft stripper (paint remover) will disolve just about anything. But you have to rinse it off when done, the best way is to dunk it, and it will (obviously) take paint off quickly so it really is best for new parts with that sticky wax film on it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Why he wants a bead 1/8" wide on a frame rail is beyond me..
:screwy: i agree. you want big strong man welds on a frame.
even though mig is a dirty process compared to tig. i'd trust my life to a mig welded frame with big beads on it before i hop in something that has welds smaller than the ones on my bicycle holding it together.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the inside of the channels were mig'd; i'm doing just touch up work on the outside portion of those to keep dirt, debris, etc out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts