Ford Focus Forum banner

Rally Spec Focus Build

15K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Josh S 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I figured I would post my build of my rally spec focus. I will try and up date every weekend as I get everything done. So here we go. On August 28 I pick up my 2000 Ford Focus. For the first week I just used the car to drive back and fourth to work. On Labor Day weekend I began gutting the car and getting it ready to weld the cage in. My first race is the day after Thanksgiving, Rally De Paris. So I should be able to get the car up and running and some seat time before the race.

2000 Ford Focus

Most of the interior is out now.

Monday I finished stripping all the heat shielding and floor tar out. I started cleaning all the areas off that I needed to start stitch welding.

Tuesday the 8th. I got off work and came home and started welding the car up. I was able to get most of the back of the car done before I had to quit.

Also on a good note I got some goodies in today.
Handkook RS 201 Tires

Ford Motorsport Rally brakes and ARP wheel studs

Sorry guys the Pics are so big. I will try and down size the pics next time. I will post more as I get the work done and parts come in.

Cheers
Josh

See less See more
#6 ·
Josh have you contacted your local scrutineer about your cage build? Just to make sure you have all your design elements correct before you start welding and cutting tubes. It makes getting a log book a lot easier if you talk to them before hand so you can catch any issues before it gets expensive to undo them.

#7 ·
^

x10.

#8 ·
A little up date on the car. I had a lot going on at work so I didn't get anything done during the week. As soon as I was off today I came home and started right away. The inside of the car is ready for the cage now. All the stitch welding is done in the back of the car and the dash bar is back in so were can steer the car. I started to pull the wiring harness but my friend told me to leave it in and will move it as were putting the cage in. Fine with me and less work. I was able to get all the wheel studs pressed in today and I started stitch welding the front up. I was able to finish up a lot until I ran out of gas for the welder. Bummer because I wont be able to do any more welding until this week when I can get a new bottle of gas.:mad: On a side not a few more part showed up and I am going to try and start installing the rally brakes tomorrow. (Does any one know if the stock wheels will fit with the rally brakes?)

BigSandwich- I have been talking to the local scrutineer about my cage. He is kind of lost on the hole rally cage set up. But my friend that is installing the cage has be in contact with him to and they are working on a plan of attack. I sent them over the cage design that you had posted in your build thread and thats what were using to base the cage off of. It suck that there isn't much call for rally builds down here in Texas. Hoping one day that will change. Any way the car will be heading over for the cage some time this week witch makes me happy and puts me a head of schedule:thumbup:.

#9 ·
Great pics, thanks for sharing. I'm currently turning a daily driver into a Rally Machine, but my build time is going to be quite lengthy due to my inability to tear it down completely like you are.

I will keep falling this build closely and using your experiences to help my build.

Have you considered adding plate reinforcements around the shock towers to increase the strength beyond the stitch welds?

Did you have to replace any of the sub-frame in the rear to accommodate the rear disc brake conversion?

Good luck and God's speed.

#10 ·
Did you have to replace any of the sub-frame in the rear to accommodate the rear disc brake conversion?
Rear disks are a bolt on part. You don't need to replace any of the suspension parts. Just undo the 4 bolts that hold the spindle on and drill out the rivets for the drum backing plates.

The rally kit should come with new lines and everything. The hardest part is removing all the heat shielding to get to the e-brake cables that run under the car.

#11 ·
While you've got the welder out I recommend adding a reinforcing ring plate on the top of the front strut towers. We had some mushrooming there before we added a plate.

Simon

#12 ·
Yeah I have planed on do it when were putting the cage in. Work has picked up a lot and have been out of town for the last two weeks. So I haven't been working on the car at all. I'm hoping to get back next weekend and get a lot done. My hot bits showed up my brother said. So we have a lot of work to do.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.