Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for me to dump the piece of crap dominant arms from my car. The guy is a liar who didn't meet the agreed upon deadline and then charged me for powdercoating that wasn't performed. Beyond that, there is a significant design flaw that he refuses to acknowledge exists. Here is the issue:

Near zero ground clearance due to improper location of the sway end link mounting point on the arm.

Also, read this - http://forums.focaljet.com/mk-i-suspension/667584-aftermarket-control-arms-who-has-broken-what.html

The first design goal of this is to eliminate bind. Bind breaks parts.

My plan is to use stock arms and reinforce them as needed. Obviously, place number is the sway bar mounting pad. For that, I intend to modify the arm in such a way as will allow me to run a rod end link. I have previously modified my sway bar to allow this to happen, described here.

Second area of bind is in the bushings. The result, I know all too well:

Also, I'd like to keep an adjuster. I have helped someone do this with off-the-shelf circle track parts. Read more here and see more hear.

While I could run a tubular arm of my own design, I am not wanting to go that far. If I do that, I will convert to a true coilover in the rear, which, since I don't like mini-springs, will require some body modification. Nothing I cannot do, but nothing I want to do at this time.

Since the spring will remain on the arm, I can only run a rod end at one end. Which end would you choose and why?

·
Kyle Gave Me His Oklahoma Foot Disease!
11,279 Posts
You don't like 2.5" ID springs? Can I ask why, I'm curious.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't like 2.5" ID springs? Can I ask why, I'm curious.
I don't dislike them, the problem is that they offer limited travel. What I really don't like are the 1.875" ID springs that the old FC rear coilover kit used.

What I dislike is bind and anything I can do to ensure that it doesn't happen will, within reason, be done. Springs going solid due to lack of travel is a form of bind, ergo it will be avoided.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Following this as well. I really want a reinforced rear control arm and would be very interested in seeing where this goes. I was looking into the Dominant arms but from the sounds of things that would be a bad idea. Which sucks because those things looked awesome, especially powdercoated.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would be okay with that. You can always paint them to make them look a little pretty anyways. I just want something that won't break under a little stress. Is there a kit for poly bushings for the rear control arms for an '09? I have had trouble finding them. Aren't the arms the same from '00-'11?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that all the arms are the same so you should be able to use Prothane or Energy parts.

I will paint them when they are done so that don't rust, but pretty, probably not. You can look in my build thread for videos of what I do with my car. Pretty is not a priority.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've seen a lot of what you have done. Most of what you do looks pretty darn good. :) Just need someone with a bit more experience to get something started so the rest of us mortals have a shot lol I'm okay with maintenance and repairs and "bolt-on" stuff, but once I enter fabrication land that's where my abilities are minimal, as I don't have much experience with that kind of work.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I know you don't want to touch the body but would merkur rear turrets fit and provide a suitable rear coilover selection? I know they have been used before in europe but usually its done to accommodate an independent rwd or a awd cosworth conversion. I can look for pics for you if you would like.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you got pics, I'd like to see them. It may not be what I am doing, but Focus rear suspension fabrication may serve as inspiration.

And thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You might want to watch this thread linked below.... tubular control arm and real coilover rear content...

These tubular lower control arms don't use a swaybar(gravel rally),but maybe something can be fashioned to accept one....

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,80752

·
Registered
682 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks RallyRS. I have seen that and the treatment of the control blade is intriguing. That will be phase two of this project, most likely.

On the rear spring arms, what you have shown is the kind of thing I am trying to avoid, to be honest, because it is massive scope creep. Changing the sway bar mounting points and converting to coil overs in the rear is something I am sure I could do, but I don't really want to go that far at this point in time. Don't get me wrong, that is the right solution from an adjustablility and parts availability point of view, but I am not ready to go that far quite yet.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since the spring will remain on the arm, I can only run a rod end at one end. Which end would you choose and why?
Hoping to hear some thoughts on the above.

Also, am considering using (gasp!) metric rod ends for this project. That would allow me to keep the factory cam adjuster bolt on the inner pivot. I have adjustable toe rods so it isn't required, but I have not once in my life said "geez, I just wish my suspension were less adjustable" so if I can, I will. What I am tripping over right now (in the planning stages) is where to source the cone washers if I am going to go with metric stuff. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
in my experiences with my focus-central arms, access to the inner rod end is pretty difficult even to tighten/loosen the jam nut. that said, I would probably run the rod-end on the outside end of your spring arms just for ease of access. you also won't loose your cam adjusters, and you won't necessarily have to source metric rod ends/cone washers. That's my $.02

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input. Drilling out the outer mount and adding a new captive nut would be pretty easy. IIRC, it is an M12 bolt, so it would be really easy to get to a 1/2" and if I felt like I needed it, a 5/8" would be easier. I have a box of 5/8" rod ends with 3/4" shanks, plus the taps to make threaded bungs so that would certainly be a good way to go from a budget standpoint.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Sorry this took so long:

Fab in UK of sierra (merkur) struts being placed in a focus along with rear suspension. I also included a picture of the coilovers he used which were bilstein 909.

If you would like the link I can send it to you as there are a ton of pics.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 38 Posts