Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 SVT. I’ve inserted the metal sleeve and bushing. Now I need to insert the pin. Any tips?

·
Registered
06 ZX4 2.0 Auto, daily driver
18 Posts
I JUST finished this. I have a BIG 3 jaw puller that I put on the arm. Put a 32mm(?) Deep socket on the push screw of the puller with the pin inside the socket.
A FULL lube of the bushing and the pin. I lined up the pin with the bushing and it pushed in really easy.
I was careful to clean ALL the old rust and rubber off with a wire wheel and painted it first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike: That’s a great approach! I cleaned it well and painted it. I just got a 12” c-clamp that I’ll try with components from a bushing kit. If that doesn’t work, I’ll get the puller like you have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mike: That’s a great approach! I cleaned it well and painted it. I just got a 12” c-clamp that I’ll try with components from a bushing kit. If that doesn’t work, I’ll get the puller like you have.
I saw a kit similar to the big C-clamp style ball joint press but made for bushings. After doing all these, that kit is looking better and better!
I would think your C-clamp would be fine for the job. I used the socket because it fit snugly and kept the pin from shifting sideways while I pressed it. You could do similar and press against the flat on the socket if needed.
The lube was necessary, like to the point of too much even? I think I would have pushed the bushing out instead of pushing the pin in if they were dry.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 12” C-clamp, 32mm socket, receiver from a bushing/ball joint tool set, lots of suspension lube, and another pair of hands did the trick!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice work! I am very happy with the new bushings. I'm sure you'll love the difference too.
Im putting off the fronts for now. It has new arms with good rubber bushings for now.
I am excited to get the rest installed now. When time and space allow, I will resume.
The improvement in the rear has made an equal improvement of my opinion of this car.
This job turned into more work than I had planned for. I'm glad it paid off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts