Ford Focus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
WEEK #5:
Alright, back to business. In-laws went home and I have the next 7 days off.

I've been able to tackle the entirety of "Heart-Shaped Box" on 100% difficulty at 10% tempo. The chorus isn't really that hard once you understand where to put your fingers in order to move them as little as possible. I've been using the practice tracks for some of the skills as a warm-up and have been able to easily get 100% on all of them except the Sliding lesson. On that one, I'm hitting every note on time, but it won't register a slide every so often and I only get 98%. I'll eventually get it.

I already know what my first DLC is going to be. Does anyone know what song it is? Here's a hint:

---------------

Just got done playing "My Own Summer" on 100% difficulty at 50% tempo. I really need to practice my rhythm. I know what the song is supposed to sound like, but my hand is not doing what my brain tells it to fast enough. Either way it has me at 95.9% mastery even though I missed a bunch of notes. I wonder if you can get 100% mastery at a slow tempo. Anyone want to try it out?

I really want my next video to be something significant (and of higher resolution). I'm going to keep practicing the main riff and create my own tone based on the one in the song so I can give you my extra-torquey rendition.

---------------

Someone that has been playing a while please take me to picking school. I've been reading into it a bit and have found what I'm guessing is mostly opinion. The game has one short section on down picking versus alternate picking.

I've been watching the video and live performances of "My Own Summer" and it looks like Steph is alternate picking. What I've been reading is that heavy stuff (drop D especially) "sounds better" down picking and it is easier to maintain rhythm (which I am currently focused on). Is any of this accurate or is it all BS?

---------------

Visited a real guitar store in Grande Prairie. I was looking around and grabbed a couple of picks that seemed to be a bit bigger than my other ones. I figured they wouldn't make my hand fatigue as quickly so I asked the guy and he tells me they are bass guitar picks. I honestly didn't even know bass players used picks. I bought three anyhow.

Eventually I will be upgrading my guitar to something a bit more serious. QUESTION: Should I buy a higher-end Epiphone or a lower-end Gibson? When I told the guy what type of music I hope to play, he said either of these will give it the "right" sound.

·
Registered
369 Posts
WEEK #5:
I already know what my first DLC is going to be. Does anyone know what song it is? Here's a hint:

that episode was great, played Kansas if i remember correctly!

I cant believe these cords for this game are all $30 everywhere. I want to get the game and a second cord but i may be holding off on that for a while.

·
Registered
497 Posts
$2.99 for each song is a lot and no indication of how hard they are. I need to focus on easier songs for now

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
$2.99 for each song is a lot and no indication of how hard they are.
That's 2 things they could definitely fix. I can't seem to find an official difficulty level listed for the songs and am unclear on how they ranked them in the first place. One thing I did notice is that "Heart-Shaped Box" and "My Own Summer" have actually moved in the ranking since I completed them. I'm left wondering if it has anything to do with the skills you have mastered.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
The odd thing is that these are the only two songs I've completed at 100% difficulty. All of a sudden they climb the list while a couple of others have moved down the list. I don't recall there being any game updates since I first loaded the disc, so that can't be it.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
WEEK #6:
I'm up to 75% tempo on "My Own Summer". It's looking more and more like I will be able to play the entire song, possibly at full speed, by the end of the 60 days. I need to start putting more effort into the Lessons at this point. Tomorrow I will be moving on to the 200 level skills.

I forgot to mention in last week's post that I also bought a clip-on electronic guitar tuner. I haven't tried it out yet, but I may compare it to the game's tuner as far as ease of use and accuracy is concerned.

---------------

200 level lessons not going too badly. They seem like a natural progression of the 100 level lessons. They need to include more lessons on rhythm in my opinion. A practice track at the very least would be helpful.

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm still up in the air on whether to buy a more expensive Epiphone or a cheaper Gibson. The guy said these would be the ones to look at for the type of music I enjoy playing. I guess I better learn a song to play so I can test both of them out at the store.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm still up in the air on whether to buy a more expensive Epiphone or a cheaper Gibson. The guy said these would be the ones to look at for the type of music I enjoy playing. I guess I better learn a song to play so I can test both of them out at the store.
Any good used music stores in your area? I'd suggest playing as many as you can and pick the one that sounds/plays the best. Bringing a seasoned player to help you audition the axes will help

·
SCHMEELENDORF!
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The closest store that would be reputable is about 2 hours away, but around here it's a day trip. I can definitely have the clerk "audition" the guitars. I know, I'll use the "may I help you" riff.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
41 - 60 of 61 Posts