Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite unexpectedly, my serpentine belt snapped. I got a new one and installed it, but I'm not sure it's the right size. The first time I started it up with the new belt, it squealed like crazy for about 10 seconds before it seemed to run fine. The moment I turned the A/C on, however, it started squealing like crazy again. I got the belt from Pep Boys because O'Reilly and Auto Zone were both out of the proper size belt.

New part: Drive Rite automotive v-ribbed belt
Part no.: 5060775DR

I'm waiting for my roommates to come home. Battery died, and I can't check the belt again if I can't start it. I am going to try running it for longer than a minute or two to see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I suggest getting a motorcraft one. Also, these belts have a break in period. I believe it's 15 minutes, this is to properly seat them or something.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So then I guess it's normal for it to be really squeally right after installing?

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts
No, I've never had that issue. How many miles are on the car? It's generally a good idea to change the tensioner when you replace the belt if it has a lot of miles on it, so that could be your issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
114k or so

·
7,494 Posts
If the tensioner has never been replaced, then it's most definitely time to do so.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yep probably the tensioner & maybe the idler pulley. I used a Dayco belt but mine is a different length cause of underdrive pulley. My last tensioner started squealing and it maybe had 25,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tensioner was perfectly fine before the belt snapped, though. I don't see why a brand new belt would make it not work.

·
7,494 Posts
It has 100k + miles on it. When it gets that far along, it's pretty standard practice to replace the belt, tensioner, and idler if you want to do it once, and do it right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just drove 45 minutes from my house to pick up a belt at Autozone because no stores in my town have the proper size belt in stock, and it turns out it's way too big. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

I've got an '03 SVT. That means it's got a 2.0L Zetec DOHC engine. It's got A/C. I got the right part number according to Autozone's online catalog. I don't understand how this could be the wrong size, unless Autozone's catalog is messed up.

Can someone give me the exact part number? I don't even care what brand anymore. I have a Ford dealership close by my house so I can order a Motorcraft one if that's the best bet.

Rockauto.com has the Motorcraft part number listed as JK6835F w/A/C can someone confirm that for me because I'm about to go nuts.

·
7,494 Posts
Should be pretty straight forward. It's a 2.0 Zetec DOHC with A/C as far as belts are concerned.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Did you wrap it correctly, if you routed it incorrectly the belt will seem to be about 1.5ft too long.

Starting from the alternator it goes down under the idler pulley, up over the power steering pulley down around the a/c pulley, up around the water pump pulley, back down around the crank pulley, up around the tensioner pulley and then you should be back at the alternator again. (This routing should has almost the ENTIRE crank pulley surrounded by belt.

O'really didn't have the correct length belt in ANYTHING BUT the gates belt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah I'm routing it exactly as the Chiltons shows it to be routed. The guy at my Ford dealership attempted to match it by VIN, but apparently even that one was too long by about 3-4 inches. The number on the belt is exactly the same up to the last letter.

Part I got today: 98BB 6C301 CA 6PK2120EL G149F
Number on the old belt is the same up to the last letter, E instead of F.

The part number I posted earlier is also different from the one I picked up today: JK6842A

EDIT: I double-checked the routing diagram. It turns out I was routing it incorrectly. I was heading up to the water pump between the a/c and crankshaft. This was spinning the water pump the right direction with the first belt i tried, but I'm actually glad I went with the Motorcraft one because the extra three inches of length wouldn't have been nearly enough for the first belt. Even the one from Autozone would have been a little shorter, and therefore much much harder to get on.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm recharging the battery now in order to get it started so I can break in the new belt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The first part# you listed is for a dohc without a/c. It will be to short.
The right part#'s dayco-5060835 goodyear-4060835 motorcraft-jk6-842a

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, jango. The one I got this morning from the dealership is JK6-842-A and I did get it installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how do you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys.
I also have an 03 svt , I haven't tried to tackle this one yet, but this is the second alternator I've replaced since april. Since I'm doing the alternator again, and since the belt started squealing I going to replace the belt and the two pulleys.

Is there a simple-ish way to do this because space is tight as many of you know?

Advice would be deeply appreciated, and also joined this forum today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts