Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Focus broke down, the tranny stays in neutral when I try moving the shifter. It was catching 5th but after removing the center console to inspect the cables and detaching the cables from the shift levers to feel for play or suspected broken cables, everything seemed ok. Now, after hooking the cables back up the shifter moves in complete circles without finding a single gear. I went back under the hood, disconnected the cables and started shifting the selector and shift levers by hand, all the gears seem to click in place but there seems to be very little resistance and a lot of range of motion for the shift lever to click into a gear. But I dont know if that's normal or not. So I'm just really confused because it seems as if the cable has to be longer to push the shift lever into 1, 3 or 5 but shorter to shift into 2, 4, or R, what's going on, I'm so confused. Any pointer? how can I fix this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had something similar happen to my 07. Turns out a part (roll pin) broke internally on the transmission shifter.

Can you have someone sit in the car and try and go into gear while you watch the transmission side of the shifter? You should see the rod going up and down (to select a shift fork) and turning (to engage the gear) but you wont hear the gear dog sliding over to actually engage the gear. If so, you might need to replace the shift tower.

If you search for mtx-75 shift tower failure, you can see what im talking about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah so I've done a lot of reading and I've come to that conclusion, I was just kind of skeptical because I could still hear the gears click but it took way too much lever movement, you gotta move it like 5-6 inches back and forth to select a gear. And I did have someone move the shifter while I looked at the linkage, you could see the movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts