Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Corrosion where? How old are the plugs? If they are original, go ahead and do the change, since the plugs are 100,000 mile plugs IIRC.

A little corrosion is pretty normal. Occasionally, moisture gets in there and causes some corrosion. I make a habit of removing my plug wires and plugs during oil changes and cleaning them as a preventive measure. It gives me the opportunity to verify plug gap and check for mixture condition, etcetera.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
How often do you wash the engine? Looks like some water has pooled in those areas a time or two and caused a bit of rust/corrosion.

It takes longer than you'd think to burn off water in that area so it will cause issues like that. Good news is it should be simply cosmetic and shouldn't really hurt anything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I rarely wash the engine (certainly not in the last 4 years), but it is good to hear it is just cosmetic.
I think she's due for new plugs anyhow, so I'll just hit it with the shop vac to make sure none of that crap ends up in the plug holes when I remove the old ones.
Thanks again.
~Z

P.S. a Shout-Out to the Tousley guys; the 3 times I've ordered parts form these guys they have been great. Cheap, convenient and quick.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Here's a hint, if you have an air compressor you can stick your shop vac over one of the holes in the valve cover and then blow the compressed air down through the other holes one at a time.

That way the shop vac sucks up any dislodged material immediatley while it's still flying around in there :thumbup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Or you could just fill the spark plug wells with oil and be done with it. No more corrosion ever. And as an added bonus, your car will run like garbage. Just kidding, don't do that.

I like Steve's suggestion, the shop vac works wonders.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You should replace the spark plugs at least once a year, especially if the car is driven daily. I've seen people who just ignored this, and then ended up getting a freezeplug. Two of the spark plugs broke into pieces when they tried to take it off with brute force. Their main problem is that the threads of the plugs are still in the head, and there's no way to take it off other than removing the head and wishing for luck. Well, long-story short, don't ignore it, replace it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Depending on how much you drive and what type of plugs you have, once a year is probably too frequent, although you should always apply anti-seize to the threads of the spark plugs. Like carlingskie said above, you don't want them breaking off or getting stuck in there.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Depending on how much you drive and what type of plugs you have, once a year is probably too frequent, although you should always apply anti-seize to the threads of the spark plugs. Like carlingskie said above, you don't want them breaking off or getting stuck in there.
^^^^^^^

What he said, just apply a light coating of antiseize to the plug threads and they won't get stuck.

Modern platinum plugs do not need to be changed yearly, Ford says about every 100k but I'd lean more towards 70k or so.

If you run copper plugs you'll have to do it more often.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Here's a hint, if you have an air compressor you can stick your shop vac over one of the holes in the valve cover and then blow the compressed air down through the other holes one at a time.

That way the shop vac sucks up any dislodged material immediatley while it's still flying around in there :thumbup:
That's a good idea

·
Registered
725 Posts
Or you could just fill the spark plug wells with oil and be done with it. No more corrosion ever. And as an added bonus, your car will run like garbage. Just kidding, don't do that.

I like Steve's suggestion, the shop vac works wonders.
WOW, as I was reading this I was like "what an IDIOT!!" Until I got to the end of the sentence. HAHA glad that was a joke!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts