Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 04 svt and the motor is shot and the head is done as well. I'm short on cash to buy a rebuild and a new svt head. What all is need to put a regular zetec over into my SVT. I don't care about performance or if the value of the car tanks. I'm paying on a car with no motor. But what is needed to put a regular zetec into a svt? I can get a complete zetec for 700$

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is the head so shot that you can't have that rebuilt? A reputable machine shop can rehab a block. To swap a zetec motor into the SVT you would need a zetec specific wiring harness, a MTX75 tranny, different cv shafts, and a few other things I know I am missing here. It's possible to do, but it might end up costing more than having the block machined and the SVT head rebuilt.
If your block and head are destroyed beyond all repair, you could probably still find someone with a salvaged car that they are parting out. I see part out threads often in the buy/sell forums.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Head is cracked in 2 combustion chambers. As far as the trans I can swap the flywheel and clutch to the standard zetec to make the 6speed work. I have a old predator programmer from a previous svt I had that was a turbo app but never used. I talk to Tom from NC a while ago and he said he could probably reprogram it. But if a wiring harness is need from a zx3 or something they are a dime a dozen where I live but the SVT isn't.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I still owe on this car. I have a baby on the way and I'm gonna be really strapped for cash. I can reuse the block but the head is toast. If anyone has a complete svt head for a descent price let me know. I prefer to keep the svt set up.

·
Registered
819 Posts
How is the bottom end? I think it would be easier to just swap the head to a zetec head, and delete vct in a tune.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bottom probably needs rebuilt I know the piston walls are rusted up and the crank and rods are in a++ condition. I don't wanna wanna do the reg zetec head because I'd have to Change the intake and header. I just want a hole engine or a svt head

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
7,494 Posts
The cheapest way for you to get back on the road is get a new head and fix the block or get a used good SVT motor, period. Swapping to a standard Zetec motor will be a nightmare and end up costing you more. Not just that, but NO ONE will ever want to buy a used SVT that has been dumbed down with a base Focus drivetrain. Magic of SVT: gone.

Also, the head isn't toast unless you're missing cam supports, etc. Even then, I've seen successful repairs. Small cracks in an aluminum head are not the end of the head.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea no doubt. I've been browsing the sales forums and a guy has a motor that needs some rings or some mild head work. I want to keep it all orginal as possible. Yea now thinking about it the zetec swap is looking more pricey. But the motor is complete but the listing says it runs great but consumed oil.

·
7,494 Posts
What do they want for it? I got my perfect replacement motor with 62k on it for $1700 with a warranty. I would look for something that needs nothing other than replacement of the timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulleys. (Don't skip that step)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do they want for it? I got my perfect replacement motor with 62k on it for $1700 with a warranty. I would look for something that needs nothing other than replacement of the timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulleys. (Don't skip that step)
He wants 250$ for it. I can rebuild that even if it needs parts took to a shop. You wouldn't wanna sale that head off of yours would ya?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Head is cracked in 2 combustion chambers. As far as the trans I can swap the flywheel and clutch to the standard zetec to make the 6speed work. I have a old predator programmer from a previous svt I had that was a turbo app but never used. I talk to Tom from NC a while ago and he said he could probably reprogram it. But if a wiring harness is need from a zx3 or something they are a dime a dozen where I live but the SVT isn't.
You mean the block is cracked in 2 chambers? The head houses the valves and valvetrain components. Also and clutch are of a smaller size that the getrag's. I happened to have rockauto's page open so I checked right quick. The specs on the getrag clutch are this: 9 7/16 X 1 X 14T getrag, and the mtx-75 clutch are this: 8 7/8 X 1 X 23T mtx75. So, no, a mtx-75 clutch set would not work with a getrag and a getrag clutch set would not work with a mtx-75. The splines are different and the mtx-75 clutch is almost an inch smaller, not to mention the getrag requires a dual mass flywheel. Also the getrag has different mounting holes on the bellhousing.
It's good thinking, but not practical. I can see how you would want to save money when fixing your car but I don't think swapping a zetec motor and expecting to use the getrag tranny will work. If you look around and do some serious digging you could probably find a used svt block and head from someone parting out their car or from a salvage yard.

Here I did a little digging for you. 2 threads on focus fantics for people that have a SVT motor (block & head) and one that has a solid head but with bent valves.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/foRUM/showthread.php?t=295186
http://www.focusfanatics.com/foRUM/showthread.php?t=317384
Then I found 2 more thread over there for a complete intact cylinder head, and one for a complete running SVT block and head. Check out the listings on focus fanatics and see if those would be more practical.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/foRUM/forumdisplay.php?f=30

The parts you need ARE out there. I just think swapping over to a standard zetec motor with a getrag tranny is going to be more cost prohibitive that you may be expecting; but hey, to each their own.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing you need to do on the zetec to make the 6speed to work is take the windage tray or upper oil pan off of the SVT and put it on the zetec. Done it to a 01 zetec that was a boost application with the 6speed. Svt clutch fit great on it. Ran great. But thinks for the extra tips man. Imma keep searching.

·
7,494 Posts
You mean the block is cracked in 2 chambers? The head houses the valves and valvetrain components.
The combustion chamber is in the head. Cracks in the combustion chambers in the head are pretty common.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The combustion chamber is in the head. Cracks in the combustion chambers in the head are pretty common.
Eh. inebriated mistake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on the severity of the crack, i've had them repaired by a process called "posting" at my local machinist. This was in a cast iron head though and the cracks were from the valve seats going out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I have a 04 svt and the motor is shot and the head is done as well. I'm short on cash to buy a rebuild and a new svt head. What all is need to put a regular zetec over into my SVT. I don't care about performance or if the value of the car tanks. I'm paying on a car with no motor. But what is needed to put a regular zetec into a svt? I can get a complete zetec for 700$
I know this threads old but I did this swap and only changed the crank sensor used the svt wiring as well just had 2 plug ins that have nowhere to go

1 - 17 of 17 Posts