Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm surprised that Star Wars' teaser hasn't been mentioned here. :)

Now that the creative control of the Star Wars story has been removed from the hands of the person who both created and molested it, there has been great interest in what the new director had in mind for the franchise. I was hoping that there would be some discussion on news about the new series here, but alas I had to watch Hello Guido for tidbits and opinion on Star Wars (Actually not a bad thing). With the new trailer being shown at select theaters across the country and now on YouTube, I wonder what others think of the series?

While I like the original non-remastered trilogy, Star Wars has been nothing but train wreck since. The only glimmer of hope in the franchise I seen was, the now de-canonized Thrawn trilogy of books, various video games (like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic ect...), Cartoon Network's Clone wars, and George Lucas' removal from the franchise. I can't think of any of the new directors work, and I did not bother to look into his history because these days I am a bit skeptical of anything Star Wars.

Then there was talk of the teaser trailer of the new movie. I was interested enough to see anything about the new film so I patiently waited until it got hosted on YouTube or something, so I can see it for myself...

OK Abrams. You have my attention.

I can't say much about what I seen, because this teaser really shows nothing. I can say, that the ball droid bit had me cringing. It instantly had me thinking about the failed attempts of appealing to younger audiences in the Pre-quals and the remastered series. Yes the gungan and Han dodging a point blank shot from a bounty hunter... Sigh. Other than that, it's a Star Wars movie.

Someone wearing a Stormtrooper disguise who looks as if he narrowly escaped from certain death, looks around the desert to gather his bearings. A ball with a droid head bounces and jitters as it careens across the desert. A woman in a hurry jumps on a land speeder and zooms away. A sweaty X-wing Pilot presses a switch, while a 3 X-Wing fighter formation makes nice looking rooster tails on water. A hooded person whips out a red lightsaber and assumes a text book of evil menacing stance. Then the Millennium Falcon completes what looks like an upside down Immelmann turn. Then the date... December 2015.

Truthfully, the Falcon part caught my attention. It might be worth looking into the new movie.

Please offer any thoughts, opinions, criticisms or lambastes George Lucas' efforts to tank the Star Wars series. :D

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
You seem to be answering your own question.

The first instalment was immense...the rest of the offering was Cr@p. There's plenty of sci-do out there...have a look.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look for Sci-Fi and I keep getting directed to Sharknado...

Something tells me that my interpretation of Science fiction is either broken or in need of recalibration.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I tend to like JJ Abrams work, Alias, Lost, the rebooted Star Trek. Star Wars was such a huge component of my childhood, then came the prequels... I for one, got chills watching the new trailer, though it's -30c with wind chill here, so that may be incidental. I'll go see the new ones, though if there's another emo Vader like villain...

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good chill I hope?

I got a positive vibe from the teaser. Enough of a good feeling to watch it multiple times.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes good.

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
As much as I loved the original 3 and was disappointed by the prequel 3, I've invested too many hours (days) watching them to not go see these when they come out. The trailer looks cool, I will go to that one gladly.

As much as I like Lucas for starting the whole thing, and for building a pre-CGI special effects industry that made a lot of good movies better and a lot of so so movies worth watching, he lost me when he became a victim of the Dark Side himself, and totally traded art for money. Very glad to see someone else at the helm.

·
I'm a ass man!
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see all the outrage out of the hilt? It makes sense that there is something to serve as a handguard, but eh. People seem to forget that the Jedi and Sith make/customize their own light sabers.

Also to me, the handguard sounds far more thought out than Darth Maul's double ended light saber.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
I just thought the meme was amusing.

I'll see the new films, I hope they're better than the most recent three but that shouldn't be tough.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The x-wing and falcon scenes caught my attention, as well as the hint of the awakening of both the dark side and the light side. I really can't wait to see what J.J. Does with the franchise. I liked his Star Trek movies. I believe he will bring a lot more fighting scenes into the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I felt like the trailer under delivered. The droid and nervous guy in storm trooper garb was an incredible waste of screen time. Really shocked that's what ended up on-screen. The Falcon was inspiring, though.
Of course it did! It's called marketing. They wanted to show something without giving up anything.

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Yeah, it's just a teaser. I did see a more involved trailer but can't seem to find it now. Of course there are a ton of fan made trailers that are just terrible. :lol:

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Okay Star Wars geeks. Learn me.

I'm confused by the black Stormtrooper. I was kind of under the impression that the Stormtroopers were all clones, I'm guessing that's not the case or maybe he's just in disguise like they did in episode IV?

-Steve

·
Inebriated Pecker Obstructionist
2,958 Posts
Limited geek out here... the clones were used as Republic Troopers for the Clone Wars until the Empire came into its own. The Republic didn't have much of a standing army leading up to the Clone Wars but for some reason the Jedi decided to correct that. My guess is that the clone troopers were pretty expensive and the Empire wasn't inclined to continue footing the bill to get more (The Jedi used Republic funds to get the original clone army raised). After the Empire succeeded the Republic they needed more troops than what was left of the clones so they just recruited every day Joes.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you remember the original trilogy, they didn't all have the same voice either...and they were different heights, etc.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen these, there's a series of reviews that personally I think are brilliant. They address damn near everything about the movies in question (I'm linking to the Episode 1 review, but there are a lot more), from more angles than the average review. Hence, they're long...but they're also some of the funniest things I've ever seen and it's absolutely worth it (the voice can get a little annoying, but get over it). He looks at the movies from a filmmaking, storytelling, and technical aspect, and then some.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
While that is true about the original films (especially episode IV) you have to tremember that when that first one was being made it was a huge gamble and they didn't have a clue if it would succeed or not, the whole Star Wars franchise is a perfect example of making it up as you go along.

I was nine or ten when the original film came out and it was absolutely the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, makes me a bit sad that younger generations didn't get to have that sort of experience with it because now it all looks a bit hokey (especially if you watch the original release) but back then it was absolutely epic.

-Steve

1 - 20 of 54 Posts