Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have this basic set up. 1 - 12" Rockford prime sub and a rockford amp.
It honestly does a great job in the fofo but I've recently done a rear seat delete and want to free up the trunk. After all, she's my DD..

I was thinking of doing a little something like this

3 additions Though. I want it to be removable for auto. i have 2 - 10" subs to put in there. And I kinda want to have a full sized spare in between the subs. Kinda like o( x )o sub- wheel- sub. I plan on using all the back seat all the back to the stress bar. Its all dead space now anyhow

Do you think itll all fit side by side? Do I full MDF the box(s) or should I fiberglass the bottom and MDF the sides and top?

I should probably add that I'mout of country (deployed) and ccan't get to my car to take measurements or test fit. Also the amp will be staying under the passenger's seat. So that won't be mounted like it is in the pic

·
Registered
99 Posts
First things first. Thank you for your service.

Your subwoofer idea will work, but in my opinion it might be a bit challenging to make it all removable and still cosmetically appealing. It is possible but will take a ton of building. I personally like using fiberglass because you can make any shape you want. Good luck with the project. Hope to see some pics when your done.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I typically do build threads for this kinda stuff so be expecting it!

On another note. I'll be a little more specific with my main question. Should I use fiberglass for the seat pan and build the walls and mounting surface with MDF? Or should I just go for a full mMDF box cut to fit the odd angles of chassis.

I realize this is a focus forum, not really a car audio fanatic site, I'm just asking for some input from those who have dome some work in the field.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I generally build boxes from a mix of fiberglass and baltic birch ply. For something like you're doing, I would build a 'frame' of the sides, and glass the bottom. Then, I'd attach the top baffle the subs go in.

So you want the subs and spare tire to end up where the rear seat was? And nothing in the 'trunk'?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So you want the subs and spare tire to end up where the rear seat was? And nothing in the 'trunk'?
Correct. Eventually I'll be putting the battery in the spare tire well. So if I can clear the donut out in order to fit the battery and have a full sized spare I figure its a win win.

Why Baltic birch? Seems oddly specific

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone do me a flavor? Id like to get some dimensions. Overall width of the back seat and from the vertical part of where the back seat starts to where the trunk levels out.

Please and thank you!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Why Baltic birch? Seems oddly specific
The 'usual' material for building sub boxes is MDF. It's cheap and dense. What a sub box really needs, is stiffness/damping. If MDF is thick enough, it does a decent job of that. Baltic birch plywood has a much higher ply count than normal plywood, is really stiff, and relatively very light. You can build a better box that weighs half as much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've used Birch before and it is great, I've also used HDF however that stuff get kinda pricey. I mainly use MDF but only good MDF (you can tell by the color). I personally would do the tub in fiberglass and the sides in wood. That way there is no guess work with fitting the wood pieces.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read up on the differences. Doom's like they both do the same job at different prices, weight, and workability. A lot of personal preference comes into play. If the wife allows it I'd like to try the birch! I've made some pretty standard boxes from MDF. I think it may be time for a change seeing as how I'll probably be glassing this box instead of my usual all wood.

Should I put anything between the chassis and fiberglass on final install to keep it from rubbing or chafing?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I read up on the differences. Doom's like they both do the same job at different prices, weight, and workability. A lot of personal preference comes into play. If the wife allows it I'd like to try the birch! I've made some pretty standard boxes from MDF. I think it may be time for a change seeing as how I'll probably be glassing this box instead of my usual all wood.

Should I put anything between the chassis and fiberglass on final install to keep it from rubbing or chafing?
I never have. That's what helps it stay in place

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone do me a flavor? Id like to get some dimensions. Overall width of the back seat and from the vertical part of where the back seat starts to where the trunk levels out.

Please and thank you!

How bout those dimensions fellas? Someone in a zx3? I normally don't bother you guys with this kinda stuff but sadly I can't get to my car from here to do so

1 - 11 of 11 Posts