Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a group that I mountain bike and build trails with have decided that we're going to enter a Tough Mudder event in Tampa on Dec 4th

We've already started training at least once a week now with very own obstacle course that we're building alongside some of our MTB trails:

Wall climb practice...

Moving a massive tractor tire that washed ashore for training in the future.

Ladder climbs

and some swimming sections:

Our event in Tampa is going to be 12miles long with roughly 25 major obstacles, should be a crazy experience....We have 15 people signed up for our team so far and hope to get somewhere near 20 for the final event. People see us training and just want to join in!

Anybody compete in a Tough Mudder yet?

Longer first person perspective video for who's interested:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now our loop is only about 3mi but luckily everybody feels pretty decent at the end of those 3..... we'll pick up pace and distance as we get closer to Dec. Most of us are not long distance runners, we're Mountain Bikers for a reason lol, so it should be interesting.

One of the major hurdle's right now is finding a pair of running/cross training shoes that can take the beating of getting in an out of salt water through out the run....

Some people say Vibram 5 fingers, but our running area is fairly rugged and not sure they'll be able to protect well enough....

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
My friend just picked up a pair of New Balance Minimus MT10's, with Vibram sole- they are like a step above my Five Fingers, and I think I am getting some, cuz I never really worked out well with the Five Fingers cuz my small toe curls under slightly, never felt quite comfy in them.

http://www.newbalance.com/products/MT10/

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Looks like alot of fun. I have done runs up to 26k and some short triathlon but never anything like this.

I want to do one of these ASAP.

·
Butt Face!
1,560 Posts
I don't think I will be ready in the winter. Spring or early summer next year will be better for me. Good luck training.

I'm thinking either Northern California or Southern California.
Dude, I am at least 75lbs overweight and have 1 leg. I don't think you really have a leg to stand on (you see what I did there?) to not do it.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Dude, I am at least 75lbs overweight and have 1 leg. I don't think you really have a leg to stand on (you see what I did there?) to not do it.
That is a lot of motivation. You part of a Wounded Warrior team?
You live in Washington DC and you want to go to Arizona in the winter to do this?
To be honest I would rather be fit in the winter to do this. I think my training could allow me to do this in the winter. Spring/Summer here in California sounds easier. :D

·
I'm black below the waist
2,739 Posts
Me and a bunch of friends are doing the NorCal one in Sept. Should be a great time!

...I'm coming back from a 2-week vacation the weekend before, so my training should be AT ITS PEAK!

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Butt Face!
1,560 Posts
That is a lot of motivation. You part of a Wounded Warrior team?
You live in Washington DC and you want to go to Arizona in the winter to do this?
To be honest I would rather be fit in the winter to do this. I think my training could allow me to do this in the winter. Spring/Summer here in California sounds easier. :D
I'm moving to Arizona this fall, probably Sept/Oct time frame. So I signed up for the one in January. And no on the wounded warrior team, just doing it cuz I want to. Motivation to get back in shape.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Well I would like to go out their and do this. I too have been trying to get into shape for a long time. So I may end up doing this. Let me see how my finances go over the next few days and I may just sign up for it. Thanks for the motivation. :cool:

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Did you pay and everything? Because you aren't on the roster.

Have not paid yet. Is there a rush? I see that there is still time to take advantage of discount pricing. I was going to wait a little to pay because I need my money right now. I do want to do the event though.

How many team members are there so far?

Will there be a team T shirt?

·
Butt Face!
1,560 Posts
No rush... and it's just me and my wife right now. I am trying to get one of my buddies to do it in Phoenix though. And we might do a shirt or something, will wait until we are closer to see.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts