Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the Ford 2014Focus have a true oil monitor or just s a timer? I'm not interested on how often I should change oil or at what intervals are recommended by various experts or opinions. What I want to know is whether the 2014 Focus actually monitors the oil condition as to purity and contaminates and if those contaminates or oil integrity will trigger the change oil alert? Regardless of how often I drive the car or if I should not drive the car for long periods of time will the monitor tell me when the oil is due for a change based on the oil integrity and not just a timer. Again I'm not interested in experts recommended changes or oil age or type of oil other than manufacturers recommended type be it a blend or a synth. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then can you tell me how it determines oil life? Is it just a timer based on time in the car or does it record or measure engine revolution or miles? My previous car was Ford Fiesta and that in fact was only a timer, and ran regardless if car was running or shut off. So if I did an oil change and never ran the car thereafter it would tell me an oil change was needed 6 months later. Is this the same set up?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Never heard of one that was just a timer, though there were plenty in the past that just tracked miles.

Ford's IOLM (intelligent oil life monitor) tracks many factors beyond just miles but doesn't track time - things like short trips & idle time DO factor into the figuring.

10k or one year is still the max. recommended IF the monitor doesn't call for a change first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Thanks. So it's not time but several factors of engine running. That's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, it keeps track of things like how many times it's driven on too short a trip for full warmup to reduce the interval vs. hwy miles that don;t count for as much wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts