Ford Focus Forum banner

221 - 240 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Id like drive bys and fhy bys if its not too much to ask.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Drive buys will happen soon, im currently waiting on splitter mounts before i can do any drive by's

So those that follow my facebook page this wont be new, but it is what iv been up to over the last few weeks.

while out on the road i was keeping logs of the oil temps, and although iv down sized to a smaller rad (minus 3 rows) i thought the temp was a little higher than it should be.

Untitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Figured this could be down to the air coming in the grill and then just going around the rads rather than the air getting forced through them. So tried to re fit the standard slam panel cover (that took up the gap between the original slam panel and the grill, but it just wasn't going to fit, even chopped up and old one trying to get it fitting. Wasnt working so i decided to make one from fiberglass (im sure i had seen some posts on facebook that day with people making fiberglass bits and bobs so must of been feeling brave!)

Man trying to get even the most basic shapes is hard! lol but i got there and then gave it a layer of carbon fiber that i had lying about! its solid, and even better it 100% has made a diffrence of about 3oC going by ambient with oil temp trend sitting at 70mph (very technical stuff lol!)

looks pretty good as well! (its not just a flat pannel it has sides to it)

was advised by the mapper he would like a softer spring in the waste gate to help with low down power control for wet maps

so anyone thats done this before knows it like disarming a bomb! lol

decided to take a photo of these before the paints no longer visible !

years of abuse had taken its tole!

bit of elbow grease and some mothers metal polish!

Next up was the sound deadning on the drivers foot well. my heals were getting caught on it so it was time to rip that up (horrible stuff to remove!)

i have since painted it and bought another heal pan although i dont have photos of it!

next up was the oil return from the turbo , the ebay spechial had finaly given up ! heat and oil and it was the floppyest thing id seen in a while lol!

thought this would be a 2 min job but once i fitted the new one i wasnt happy with the angles and the stress the pipe was on, so i ended up spinning the turbo core to help the hose sit better.
New Roose motorsport hose fitted and looking the part!

but off course spinning the core moved all the other pipes around!

so i managed to man handle the water feed to a better place but you sadly cant do that with the oil feed!

was just sitting a little to close for my liking !

so a trip to my local hydro place and i got a new line made up with a 45 end on it

and fitted you can see how much better it fits!

have since fitted some DEI heat sleeve to it as well !

Next came the issue of the bumper trying to rip its self off!

decided its time for the start of the flat floor.

this will be hung from the chassie legs on custom alloy mounts, currently waiting for space on the CNC machine for this!

so thats it curretly where its at!

the car is still fully road legal and running! had it out last week just to see if everything was ok, turns out during the plex dash update iv lost my fuel cal table but that takes 2 seconds to re load!

and decided it was a shame having my gen M-Sport WRC bonnet from McRaes car gathering dust in the attic so i decided to give it a polish and hang it up :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Love this build so much!

·
Registered
373 Posts
The whole thing is so dadgum amazing!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Right, little update!

So on the Focus RS facebook page there had been some scary photos posted of the tin worm that plagues all fords lol, i remember giving mine a quick once over with stone chip about 4/5 years ago and it was just a little bit surface rust and nothing more. But with these new photos coming to light i thought i better have a look about, i knew the front was solid as i had been chopping and welding up there to let the 255's move about lol! So was really only the rear half of the car i was going to have a look at, and long behold i sadly found what i was looking for!

What was once a pin to hold the rear splash guards in place fell off in my hand and a little 1/2" hole appeared, dug a little deeper and it was clear ford had cut corners not fully welding up theses seams and just using seam seal lol! any way all cut out (on both rear tubs) and replaced with fresh metal!

Happy to report that was all i found, ordered some bilt hamber products and will be removing all the old stuff in the rear tubs and redoing the hole lot, hence why they are just in zinc primer just now!

Next up was the wrap!, i loved the martini colours , loved matt black more! lol so my pal and me set about wrapping the car in a ken block themed wrap , love it or hate it!

Did the hole car with my mate bar the front bumper who i got customised coatings to do :)

well happy with how it turned out!

e13 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

With no flash!
e7 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

With flash!
e8 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e9 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Shine a light at it and you can pretty much get any colour you want!
e12 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e11 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e10 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Also noticed i fianly got my rear diffuser on! lol only been sitting for 3 odd years! fits quite well!

e14 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Didnt take long! will have to get the camera on it with the bits of wool and see if the angle is ok and not actual causing drag!
But both it and the spoiler up rights are coming off to get powder coated matt/semi gloss black as well!

Then got the car up to MB Motorsport and got a bit more mapping work done, i had to change the wastegate spring for a softer one to allow me to run a lower boost pressure for wet work, now have 3 maps which is awesome! shes made some good power again and is under full protection with the syvecs! Also got a mild anti lag added on a switch! its fairly wild!

Some clips iv chucked together!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqLE2WvL_dA

Also got my wets refurbed and painted in a baby blue colour! should fairly pop agents the matt black!

And that about it for just now!

Still need to get the front ply splitter mounts made, then once iv done that the car is finished and ready to go racing!

Happy Days!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This car is fantastic!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Thanks mate :)

So to carry on from the post with the rear wheel wells, this is what i was facing!

IMG_3800 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

As you can see rear tubs arnt looking the best, this was cleaned up and stone chipped sprayed about 4 years ago when i removed the rear splash guards. I blame the road miles i do in the car with all the crap thats on the roads causing this!

So a chat to jon and he put me in the direction of Bilt Hambers chemicals, placed an order and this trio showed up!

IMG_3783 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

rust remover , 90 something% zinc spray and then there elastic top coat in grey.
Got to work removing all the old paint and seam sealer that was loose (most of it)

Mid way photo

IMG_3802 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Nasty stuff with crap everywhere! i was covered!

2 coats of the zinc spray and then applyed new seam sealer.

IMG_3806 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Then the 2 pac top coat applyed

IMG_3830 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

I do plan to strip the car down end of the year and do the underside in the same coating as im fairly impressed with it.
You can colour top coat it and it can be lacquered. I cant makeup my mind if im going to re apply stone chip or GRAVITEX just to give it extra protection?

While i was in about with the buff i managed to clip one of the brake lines, so i put an order in to HEL brake lines monday morning and Tuesday they arrived in the post, the look to have changed the lengths ever so slightly made them smaller which is fine as they now fit alot neater!

Still have the other side to do but rain and dampness is stopping me from doing that just now. the 2 pac paint really needs 10oC to dry in about 7 hours but mine is still a bit soft 24 hours in (but only at 6oC so garage heaters are on and at 14oC - should see how fast my electric meter is spinning haha!)

and in other news , 4 months of trying to order one from DR Gas, my side exit pipe finaly showed up. Had to buy it via classic industries in the end, and if im honest both companys get a mark down imo. DR Gas replyed to 1 email , then never heard from them again, they also dont answer there phone or get back to you... (not that i was expecting a phone call back to the uk) then classic industries have the weirdest order system in the world, item was in stock , then not, then took my money to refund it with no reason, 2 day turn arounds for the email replys, item then on back order with no ETA, then one day i notice my money drops in my account, and find out after a phone call that the item is in stock again and on its way to me lol, worked out at like $280 USD for a tail pipe lol what ever!

Have it now and will get it chopped up and fitted soon :)

Thats all for now!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
This should of been with the arch updates but i forgot to take photos so il just add it in now,

Rear KW 2-Way Comps, always surprised me that the bodys were just zinc plated, but im glad i put the socks on them! has defo saved them for looking alot worse than they could of been. Quick wire brush, clean out the dust seal area of all its crap, and then a spray with moly film. Wrapped back up and ready to install when the arch has dried fully!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Been another 2 month gap between updates! sorry! work has been mega busy and days at home are few and far between just now!

Anyway Progress is being made!

First off was my switch pannel for all my aux items, heated screen, WMI, Fan override, fire system ect, decided to put them all into a much neater set up so they still have to be labled but its myuch neater than before with switches everywhere!

dash.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next was to get some bits off to the powder coaters, wanted the splitter done and the spoiler up rights as the silver wasnt working with the black wrap! Used the same guy as always John and Customised Coatings and as always they came back perfect!

wing.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr
diffu.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

A little side project for later on in the year (most likely after iv done my 2 events in july) iv decided to collect the bits for going DBW, MK2 focus ST/RS Throttle body and a MK3 Focus throttle pedal (will probably get a RS/ST one as they have a nice little metal plate on them!)
Reason for this is i get some nice features with the syvecs , better anti lag and auto blip on the way down through the box and its a slightly bigger TB as well going from 57mm standard to 66mm. Looking forward to getting it up and working! A shout out to Will at WR Tuning for supply the TB plug from a spare loom he had! saved me a load off stress!

tb2.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

tb1.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next on the list was to sort out my side exit pipe!

Im not a welder so we will clear that up right now haha! i can weld but its so so ! , when making this side exit i had group b / Nascar in my mind.... well this was my effort !
sideexits.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

A Solid 4/10 if i dont say so my self! haha!

the cutting out of the sill and replacement metal wasnt much better if im honest!

sideexit (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So was time to take it to a real fab guy and callum haynes sorted me out!

first step was to remove all old rusty rubbish!
sideexit (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

He then fabbed up a plate and welded it in place!

And before you knew it the nascar tip was on the car :D

sideexit (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

sideexit (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Still need to wrap the side skirt and fit the alloy trim to stop it melting everything when the car chucks out its 2ft flames! But like i said above time hasnt been on my side :(

While it was up there callum also set about putting the screamer pipe back into the exhaust system, the MSA had finally caught up with them so this was the easiest way forward! The car is so quiet now on boost!

callum did an ace job removing minimal coating on the down pipe but i think im going to get it all re done as the oil leak from the turbo had made a fair mess of it as well sadly :(

screamer (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

screamer (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

nice flow back into it

screamer (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and still got some clearance between it and the rad!

screamer (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Last thing for callum was to design a splitter mount system for me, the whole car will be flat floored at some point but for now this spliiters main job is to hold the downforce of the front splitter and stop it trying to rip the bumper off!
splitt (1).PNG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (6).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Once that was done i got the car home for a day and started to make my front splitter, just out of plywood for just now but might change to something lighter given time and im happy it works!

splitt (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Also having to try a few places for the tie rods to mount, thanks to adam for the info on these!

splitt (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

trying to get the angles right for not cutting up the bumper any more!

splitt (5).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Will get there im sure! then i can finaly get out on the road and do some road testing as i was having a fuel cut issue but i think it was the worn fuel pump but its never been tested since so cant wait to get that done! and then once thats done its time to get a track day or 2 booked and learn how to drive a manual again! haha!

Slow Progress but working 3 weeks with 1 off is a bit of a nightmare!

Thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would love a video of the flames if its not too much trouble when you get it going.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
So update!

Been flat out with this! , only home for 5 days then away again so had to get right in about. Sadly didnt take as much photos as i would of liked because i was just trying to get through the jobs as quick as i could!.

So first off was on the way home the exhaust was making a racket! I had told Calum to solid mount it but that just meant the car now droned a hole load more! So bought some rubber mounts (anti vibration mounts) popped one of them on the exhaust and gave the tip a coat of black heat proof paint. The side skirt is still to get wrapped but thats a two man job so will hopefully get that done tomorrow ! But the side exit is now done bar the heat Shield!

e6 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next up was this splitter!
Had initially tryed to get the stays to go through the "fog lights" but the more i played with it i realised that i just didn't have the length or height to do that. So it was going to be a case of slotting the bumper or drilling holes.

e3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

I was offshore offcouse trying to work this all out but i decided on holes just below the "fog lights"

So you can see here the stays going though the bumper

e7 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

And where they pick up on the splitter support.

e8 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The splitter was finally mounted! massive relive and so happy how its worked out! Have gave it a lick of black epoxy even though it is its mock splitter i didnt want it soaking up water and destroying its self right away!

Slight issue was where the splitter (fibreglass bumper part) sat on the ply part was a little gap about 1cm big, i thoght that this could potentially let air in between the splitters and damage something so found out you get threaded inserts for wood ( basically wood versions of riv nuts lol!) so bought some of them and now have 5 M6's joining the 2 together!

e9 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Eagle eyes might of noticed the end plates above have a new hole in them!

e1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

This was added to let some of the air out as it was basically creating to much down force still! (madness!) have yet to try them out but if they dont work then i might just have to make really small end plates, more in the style of the old ESCOS hockey sticks :)

Also while on the aero side of things i thought id try these out!

e2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Famous in the evo world but for those who dont know they are little (3D printed) vortex generators There job is to stop the air basically flowing right down the rear window and chuck it into the rear wing to then let it do its job! Will get the wool tails out and film it on the go pro see if its made any odds!

Other than that a delivery from AP racing turned up

e5 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Forgot how big these disks are! massive! Will get them replaced and bedded in soon!

Only other thing is i had the car out for some road testing! Destroyed another gearbox :( 3&4th now grind above 7k shifts and 5th gear is a little temperamental ! Was planning on sending the quafie box away to get a check over before putting it back in for SLS in july but i sadly dont have enough time for that, mapping and then testing again! So i am not going to be able to get it sent off before the racing starts! Fingers crossed its ok! Other than that i had a slight misfire, checked the logs and all is ok so gapped the plugs down and its went away. Might have an injector issue so going to remove them and get them cleaned and see how they come back. Other than that the car is going very well and im falling in love with it again! Animal!

e10 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Mk1 Focus RS 500bhp+ Racecar Build

That's a real mean looking mk1 there bro.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Thanks Guys, yeh the mk1 section in here sadly doesn't get alot of traffic, i have thought several times about stopping posting but tbh i enjoy putting these half blog style posts together, its good to look back on the history and evolution of the car imo , im a sucker for a built thread! and theres a few of you guys that appreciate it :)

Thanks whiskerz, every up Aberdeen way give me a message and your more than welcome to come round for a can of Irn Brw and a look over the focus :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Mk1 Focus RS 500bhp+ Racecar Build

Yea, dont stop posting. I enjoy this thread a great deal. I imagine that you get a lot of attention where ever you take that monster.

221 - 240 of 294 Posts