Ford Focus Forum banner

301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Love your thinking and upgrades Jack !
Wonder what happens to turbo and engine temp with less airflow, interesting and surely following your progress 😊
Thanks Bart! That question has popped up a few times but i think its not as complicated as people think. Its a water cooled engine so it shouldn't matter to much, the 2nd set of vents mid way up the bonnet are designed to drag hot air out the bay so there will be some movement, granted not a lot. As for the turbo again it is also water cooled, think about putting a turbo blanket on a turbo, you then also block off any air circulation, but the turbos don't seem to mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Bart! That question has popped up a few times but i think its not as complicated as people think. Its a water cooled engine so it shouldn't matter to much, the 2nd set of vents mid way up the bonnet are designed to drag hot air out the bay so there will be some movement, granted not a lot. As for the turbo again it is also water cooled, think about putting a turbo blanket on a turbo, you then also block off any air circulation, but the turbos don't seem to mind.
That sounds reasonable, as long as you coolant water is cooler than before you'll be right.
Thought about this and does make sense. Still interesting to see the results.
Hopefully you'll be able to test it out soon !
Keep up the good work Jack, I love your build and progress 👌

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
That sounds reasonable, as long as you coolant water is cooler than before you'll be right.
Thought about this and does make sense. Still interesting to see the results.
Hopefully you'll be able to test it out soon !
Keep up the good work Jack, I love your build and progress 👌
yup exactly bart , as long as the coolant is kept under control it shouldnt be a issue ! thats the plan anyway haha!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
So! New post, New flickr account! Had reached 1000 photos on the other account even after removing my holiday snaps from 2007! haha!

So first off is the bonnet, Vents have been fitted. Final placement and fingers crossed they work!

Next back was the exhaust from zircotec, as always lovely finish that wont last long this white but it will do the job non the less!

So now that the bonnet vents locations were decided i could get on with making the 2nd part of the duct from the rad up.
I originally wanted to make this in alloy first. But my lack of sheet metal skills was shown and i just couldn't get the shape right. Watching to much Gas Monkey/Jessie James shows wasn't paying off here! haha

So the only other way i knew how to do it was to get the carbon/fibreglass looked out again!

Q the mess!

Cavity boxed up with cardboard and tapped off and expanding foam filled!

This was then removed to leave me with a foam plug that was body filled and sanded (like 100 times!)

Which was then sent to the local painters to get 2k paint on it to seal it from the gel coat chemicals! This was then moulded.

Moulds made and pulled! A few touch ups needed but as this wasnt going to be a visual part i wasnt being to fussy with it.

This was then wet laid with carbon and then placed under vacuum to get all the extra resin out that would just be dead weight.

Which then left me with this!

One very light but strong 3 layer carbon duct. After lots of trimming and fitting (to both part and underside of bonnet)

I was left with this!

Its by no means visually perfect but it will do the job of diverting the air up and out. Need to fine tune the fasteners (will use riv nuts) and get the edge all sealed with rubber seals so its completely air tight. But for the first go im happy!

Next up was a bit of bad news... The pair of team dynamics i had on order for 14 months finally got cancelled, Rimstock have been in a bad place i think since covid hit and with the foundry shut in the uk out sourcing casts were providing quality issues....

Did a bit of looking about and speedline, braid and compomotive were the only wheels sorta out there that had the fords 4x108 fitment on there lists. Speedline wanted 12 wheels (when i only needed 2) so i tried compomotive and they had some in stock in the correct size!

So paid at 11am Friday and 3pm Saturday i had a set of wheels at my door! Ordered a set as i think the two 1.2's and two comps would of annoyed me!

Lovely! Grey is the stock colour, white or black is screaming my name ! haha

Cheers!

301 - 306 of 306 Posts