Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Inked Hotness
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people ask often what kind of camera they should get.

so i thought of a couple questions. maybe some pros can help answer these and come up with a couple more for people who come for advice!

1. do i want film or digital?
2. what do i want to take pictures OF?
3. what is my price range?
4. do i want to invest more in the body or the lenses?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
To eleberate on your #2...what lenses do you need/would use to take those pictures. Macro, Telephoto, Wide Angle, etc.

6. What are some good brands to look for?

-Cody

·
Registered
912 Posts
7. Do you want something small and compact that you can more easily carry around, or something larger but fuller featured with easier access to controls and probably a better lens?

·
Registered
222 Posts
8. Should i pay attention to megapixels?

Its a marketing tool. You want to pay attention to the size of the image sensor, thats the heart of the camera. A camera with 8 megapixels and a nice big image sensor will take better quality photos than a 14 megapixel camera with a smaller one.

9. Whats more important on a DSLR, the body or the lens? (Similar to question 4)

Put your money into quality lenses. For one, bodies come and go yearly, a quality lens will last many years. Second, an expensive body like a Canon 5D mark II with a low quality lens is not even worth it. You are far better off with quality glass and a less expensive body. Also, avoid most kit lenses. Especially the plastic ones unless you just want to take snapshots.

10. Are there any quality lenses under $500?

Yes, there are several. Here are my top 3. The obvious one is the $80 Canon 50mm f/1.8 (aka the nifty fifty) The AF is rather noisy and not very quick for fast moving subjects, but its accurate and in its sweet spot (f/4-f/8) it will take very nice photos. A must have for every photographer IMO. Next up would be the Canon 85 f/1.8 which runs about $375 new these days. About as sharp as any L glass lens I have used with great IQ, color reproduction and rather decent AF speed. I use this as my main lens on my Canon 5D, great combo. Last is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which can be had for around $400 new and even less used. Like the Canon 85, its tack sharp, even wide open unless you are a pixel peeper and scour the edges :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
10. Are there any quality lenses under $500?

Yes, there are several. Here are my top 3. The obvious one is the $80 Canon 50mm f/1.8 (aka the nifty fifty) The AF is rather noisy and not very quick for fast moving subjects, but its accurate and in its sweet spot (f/4-f/8) it will take very nice photos. A must have for every photographer IMO. Next up would be the Canon 85 f/1.8 which runs about $375 new these days. About as sharp as any L glass lens I have used with great IQ, color reproduction and rather decent AF speed. I use this as my main lens on my Canon 5D, great combo. Last is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 which can be had for around $400 new and even less used. Like the Canon 85, its tack sharp, even wide open unless you are a pixel peeper and scour the edges :)
I vouch for everything above, as I own a Canon 50mm f/1.8, a Canon 85mm f/1.8, and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. All are great lenses under $500.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If I just wanted a nice digital camera to take nice pictures of my car and night time photos. What should I do ??

·
Cantankerous Quacker
3,515 Posts
If I just wanted a nice digital camera to take nice pictures of my car and night time photos. What should I do ??
Take a look at some of the Point and Shoot cameras out there. Just about every manufacturer makes several. Canon, FujiFilm, Nikon, Olympus and Pentax and thats just the "big" names. Keep an eye on the sales and you should be able to pick yourself a nice little camera and stay under the 100.00 mark.

A few examples:

Canon Powershot

Nikon Coolpix

Olympus

They don't look like much, but those little cameras can take some really good pictures with a little practice (or even not so little practice)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts