Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm not sure thats the right place for this essay but lets try. Ive got 2001 ZTS sedan with 2.0 zetec, manual 5speed. When you look at the basic car/engine spec it will tell you: you're a luck man to be in position of having magnificent 130hp :bow: Yeeeh right:screwy: So I went one day to dyno test my car just to see how and what and when. Guy said: here's your stock Focus with ONLY or JUST 115hp :eek:. Thats not [email protected]#&ing right if it says 130hp it should have 130hp or something around that number taking age and time in consideration. FORD does LIES to us claiming that 2.0 ZETEC is 130hp engine!

since that time I spent some money and time trying to improve thing, so I have made some modifications like:

- euro top deflector,
- K&N panel filter,
- new timing belt,
- OBX 4-2-1 race header + heat wrap,
- euro FORD FOCUS RS mk1 downpipe + 200cell race cat (custom weld),
- SVT cat back 2.25'' modified to fit new downpipe and sedan rear bumper,
- 58mm throttle body of Ford Cougar,
- pack of new sensors, sparks, leads and other junk,
- new radiator + silicone water hoses (just because my old one was crap and car did like to overheat).

Recently I went again to dyno test my car and after all these little things gained 13hp giving a total number of 128hp. This is just about stock (zetec claimed power) should have! :hump:

I know many of you must have similar story, but I must admit car pulls nicely, no hesitation at all, recently had rev. limiter moved to ~7000rpm and EGR deleted.

Very very TRUE is that if my ZETEC would have 130hp at the first time, then after all these modifications/money spent I would potentially have something around 145hp and finally this fact makes me sick and angry :thumbdown

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
very entertaining :)

In my case:
TB is just and only to improve flow and gas pedal response if I can put it this way, and it's 58mm not 55mm as you say.
REV limiter got nothing to do with hp, its basically just to make for me a quick start of 1st and 2nd gear and I dont do drag racing with my car. oil pump in SVT is the same type as zetec and as you know you can rev SVT beyond 7000rpm. Why would I kill my engine then?

Ive seen stock zetec engine in Focus doing 130hp and more at the wheel with no modifications so what, different parts used in different places?

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
very entertaining :)

In my case:
TB is just and only to improve flow and gas pedal response if I can put it this way, and it's 58mm not 55mm as you say.
REV limiter got nothing to do with hp, its basically just to make for me a quick start of 1st and 2nd gear and I dont do drag racing with my car. oil pump in SVT is the same type as zetec and as you know you can rev SVT beyond 7000rpm. Why would I kill my engine then?

Ive seen stock zetec engine in Focus doing 130hp and more at the wheel with no modifications so what, different parts used in different places?
Floodyou was telling you the truth about HP... if you ever really saw another Focus that dynoed at 130 HP stock, then either the dyno had a 17% correction calculated in the output, or the owner of that car was very very lucky to have a "freak" engine/trans (highly doubtful). The problem with pushing to a higher rev limit after you have passed the power peak is the length of time the engine spends turning at those rpms for little or no gain... over revving an engine WILL kill it sooner. In this case oiling is not the limiting factor, time is... rings, bearings and valves suffer from the extra (unnecessary) heat.

You are the first I've read here that swapped on a Cougar TB. Please, tell more about it. Did you have to mod anything to match the IAC port, or the bolt holes? How does the TPS match up? Does the Cougar TB have air diverter in the throat, or is it straight through? What years of the Cougar and what engine? I ask because this might be a good way for people to get a little better air flow for stage 1 cams and keep their stock MAF for ease of tuning, and keep expenses down... might also be a good compliment to E2K IM. I'm willing to test one on my car.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Also worth considering, is your engine 11+ years old by now and lots of miles. There is a small gap in the fence, and a few horses are bound to escape. It seems you have noticed something that almost every other car guy already knew, there is a difference between wheel and crank horsepower. Ford and it's Zetec are not the only manufacturer and engine to pull this 'trick'. So no, there is nothing wrong with 99% of zetec engines

·
Registered
96 Posts
You are the first I've read here that swapped on a Cougar TB. Please, tell more about it. Did you have to mod anything to match the IAC port, or the bolt holes? How does the TPS match up? Does the Cougar TB have air diverter in the throat, or is it straight through? What years of the Cougar and what engine? I ask because this might be a good way for people to get a little better air flow for stage 1 cams and keep their stock MAF for ease of tuning, and keep expenses down... might also be a good compliment to E2K IM. I'm willing to test one on my car.
2nd that! Would like to know all the above too, as I've just installed the "new" e2k many, removed my old "smooth" ported BBK TB and installed back my old OEM TB (epoxied & ported before being installed). So if I won't be happy with the ported OEM TB, then I'd like to test some intermediate setup...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I guess you're right with hp, its just not fair in my view to be proud of something that exist on paper not on the road.

You are the first I've read here that swapped on a Cougar TB. Please, tell more about it..
Cougar TB is straight forward swap! You can save yourself some money using own TPS (it does fit perfectly). Problem is that the bracket is slightly different and needs some modification to play together with Focus acc. cable, cruise control and inlet manifold. So you'll need to make your own custom bracket. Second thing is: you'll need an aftermarket ducting pipe from TB to Air cleaner.

I'll try to find some pics later.

·
I
13,288 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I ended up with 130whp & 135wtq after spending a boatload of time & money... and I'm probably even with a stock SVT's output now... parasitic drag is a bit of fun math, but the more you ensure the existing power can make it to the wheels; the better it feels on the 'butt-dyno'! Response is scalpel-sharp too now.

Manufacturers have been doing the paper-only trick FOREVER, though. Take the horsepower wars the big three have engaged in recently, or the Gentleman's Agreement the Japanese mfgs held; it's just part of the game!

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Cougar TB is straight forward swap! You can save yourself some money using own TPS (it does fit perfectly). Problem is that the bracket is slightly different and needs some modification to play together with Focus acc. cable, cruise control and inlet manifold. So you'll need to make your own custom bracket. Second thing is: you'll need an aftermarket ducting pipe from TB to Air cleaner.

I'll try to find some pics later.
Cool, thanks, pics will be great. Do you have any measurements of height? Also, do you remember what year Cougar it's off of?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, thanks, pics will be great. Do you have any measurements of height? Also, do you remember what year Cougar it's off of?
Stock Focus TB vs. stock Cougar TB.

Cougar TB already in place. With or without c/control you'll still need to modify bracket as I had.

and finally my engine bay

What Cougar? If I remember 1999 or something of that age.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Very nice, engine bay looks good. :thumbup: Thanks for the pix.

I can't tell from the pix, but I suppose there is a hole in the side wall of the Cougar TB for the idle air control system. How well does it idle? Do you have any other shots that are clearer and show the bracket mod?

Just a suggestion... and it may not be necessary with the tubing size you run to match the TB, but have you considered an SVT airbox? It allows more air in from both the bottom and the driver side, the latter has a snorkel that replaces the resonator box, or maybe just remove that resonator.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll take some extra pics this weekend. SVT airbox is the best option at this stage and I'll probably go for it sooner or later. BTW with Cougar TB it idles just the same as with stock Focus TB. I found in my case rough idle mostly due to bad earth (battery - body - rusty terminals etc).

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
Huh.
I spent ~$1,500 and gained 80hp.
Guess you just need to actually do more research and reading about how an engine actually works. And what works for a zetec.

BTW, for an essay, this is a D+.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every manufacturer messes with the numbers a little at times, some times they even say horse power is less (1960's) to help keep things like insurance a tiny bit lower. But the mods for sensors would not increase hp. So the only parts really increasing hp are the K&N and exhaust. The stock focus is tuned to have the exhaust be what it needs to, so its not restrictive in factory form. If you replaced the cams, ported the heads and/or intake and throttle body then the exhaust would be restrictive and not be able to get the burned fuel out. But replacing the factory exhaust with no other real mods is a max of 10 hp, maybe 15 hp if you replace the header to. But now that you have the prep work done if you start doing the other stuff you will get more hp that if you just port the head or did cams. The more power mods you have the more everything works together to make power more easily.

·
Bacne..
2,690 Posts
The stock focus is tuned to have the exhaust be what it needs to, so its not restrictive in factory form.
... But replacing the factory exhaust with no other real mods is a max of 10 hp, maybe 15 hp if you replace the header to.

con·tra·dic·tion
[kon-truh-dik-shuhn]
noun
1. the act of contradicting; gainsaying or opposition.
2. assertion of the contrary or opposite; denial.
3. a statement or proposition that contradicts or denies another or itself and is logically incongruous.
4. direct opposition between things compared; inconsistency.
5. a contradictory act, fact, etc.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts