Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for the smallest wheel spacer possible (3mm?) so my front brake calipers will clear my stock six-spoke 16s. I have the BAT kit, and every so often I get minor rubbing between the passenger-side caliper and wheel. I've seen the ones FS sells, 5mm on both sides would be a bit overkill for my application and I don't want to have to put them on all four corners just to keep everything looking the same if I can help it (assuming +3mm offset on the front wouldn't be noticeable without spacers on the back.)

e- Are the universal e-bay variety spacers OK or should I steer clear of them?

TIA

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have H&R's 5mm spacers from FS. I think the general consensus here on the board is that anything above 3mm will require newer aftermarket wheel studs. However to be on the safe side, i think you should do it anyways even with such a thin spacer.

And just for the sake of symmetry, i would get spacers for all 4 corners. The Focus' rear wheels are really tucked in under the wheelwell, so even a small spacer up front will make the stagger look funny.

On that note, im really note sure of where to get 3mm spacers. I think Eibach might make some, but im sure someone will post up a reputable source. And i personally would not trust ebay for such items, especially since they have to be hub-centric.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Do not buy the (general fit 4 lug ones).... They are super ghetto...

Just buy 5mm, and change your lugs. It's only a days work.

If you want oddball sizes you generally have to have them custom made by someone that works at a machine shop/wheel store/ etc. etc. That's how I got my 7mm's made.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^
Do the spacers you guys sell not come with new studs then? I assumed they did as they are pictured with them on your site.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
FocusSportVP said:
Some of the thicker spacers come with new bolts/studs, but not 5mm.
My 5mm H&R's came with new studs purchased from you guys just a month back or so.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
I just checked and I guess they do. :screwy: I didn't use them before with test fitting wheels. And I had thought there was enough stud still left, but if H&R thinks its best and they include them I'd follow their recommendation. I guess you don't have a choice with H&R since its just part of the kit and price.

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
FocusSportVP said:
I just checked and I guess they do. :screwy: I didn't use them before with test fitting wheels. And I had thought there was enough stud still left, but if H&R thinks its best and they include them I'd follow their recommendation. I guess you don't have a choice with H&R since its just part of the kit and price.
Agree, run a longer stud with anything over 3mm.

And finding the correct length studs is the hard part...might as well run them if they come with.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I bought a set of comedy option 3mm e-bay spacers, if they don't work out (and I fully expect them to crash and burn, but hell, they were only $8) I'll be picking up a set of the 5mm H&R spacers from FS.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Well I bought a set of comedy option 3mm e-bay spacers, if they don't work out (and I fully expect them to crash and burn, but hell, they were only $8) I'll be picking up a set of the 5mm H&R spacers from FS.
Just so your aware, those 8 dollar "i expect them to crash and burn" spacers will be installed inbetween a marginally more expensive set of rims, some brake and suspension components and a CAR.

But hopefully they at least stay put..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for the smallest wheel spacer possible (3mm?) so my front brake calipers will clear my stock six-spoke 16s. I have the BAT kit, and every so often I get minor rubbing between the passenger-side caliper and wheel. I've seen the ones FS sells, 5mm on both sides would be a bit overkill for my application and I don't want to have to put them on all four corners just to keep everything looking the same if I can help it (assuming +3mm offset on the front wouldn't be noticeable without spacers on the back.)

e- Are the universal e-bay variety spacers OK or should I steer clear of them?

TIA
Try the BONOSS orH&R wheel spacers , they are AWESOME.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts