Ford Focus Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm really not kidding....they issued me an A1...
Wow. That is a little scary. I was a young E-3 back in the '80s when my Army unit got the then-new A2s. Almost exactly twenty years later (about five years ago) I had an argument with an Army civilian logistician about the weapons in the field and he insisted adamantly that there were no more A2s in theater (which I disproved that day with photographic proof). But an A1? We don't even buy the correct ammo for those anymore I don't think. They take the old--yes Vietnam era--M193 Ball. The 80s-era M855 has a higher chamber pressure, supposedly not safe for the A1s hence the green paint on the tip to distinguish, and require the A2's tighter rifling to get it's higher mass to be stable. The very latest M855A1 has more of both chamber pressure and mass. You REALLY shouldn't have an M16A1 on today's battlefield.

I feel for you bro. Please stay safe

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I personally would like to see said A1 as they are only used for D&C. Again M855 ball ammo will not work correctly in a A1 and will cause premature failure on the weapon. it will also be impossible to zero such weapon and the rounds will tumble at 25M and not allow for a correct 4cm grouping.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I personally would like to see said A1 as they are only used for D&C...
Well, he *is* Navy.

DigitalGT, no offense intended, but are you sure it was an M16A1? What distinguishing features of the weapon you saw packed up and shipped for you were A1-ish. It's just hard to believe is all. They exist (sadly) in storage and even the Army began passing them out to trainees a few years ago to get them used to carrying and caring for a weapon round-the-clock (I'm not sure if that policy is still in effect). But place an A1 into an operational context is a logistical problem on top of a safety problem on TOP of a functional effectiveness problem.

·
Go ahead - ask me how Chalz' huge, bulging, fearle
3,240 Posts
Yep I'm sure it's an A1. Two position trigger. Safe and Semi. Old style flash suppressor and no case deflector. Old big gnarly smooth forward handguard instead of the ribbed one. I know my ARs and this one is definitely an A1. When it was issued to me there was an XM16 sitting in the rack next to it.:screwy:

Supposedly I'm going to do a turn in and reissue for an M4A1 once in theater but I'll believe that when I see it. I brought up the ammo problem when it was issued to me but the quartermaster just sort of shrugged and said, "yeah but I was told to issue these." I know there isn't any M193 where I'm going. I called the group that I'm relieving and was told all they are issuing out is M885A1 which is that all copper round with a harder penetrator.....bismuth or steel or something.....so I know I'm not loading that stuff into an A1. Given the Navy's sudden onset of cheap bastardness, it wouldn't surprise me to find that they are intentionally issuing out of date weapons that logistically can't be used in country thereby forcing the Army to shell out the bucks to replace it with one that can be.

At least I got an M11 instead of an M9.......which ain't saying much against any AK variant that may be pointed in my direction.

Oh and there are most definitely A2s still in service. I've seen tons of them being carried by REMFs over there....mostly staff and supply corps guys but I did see a few Marines carrying them. One said he liked it better than the M4 and the A4. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Supposedly I'm going to do a turn in and reissue for an M4A1 once in theater but I'll believe that when I see it.
I can see it happening. In fact, you might have to swap them back as you depart and leave the M4A1 behind. I absolutely HATE the concept known as "Theater Provided Equipment" because it is the antithesis of "train as you fight, fight as you train." But TPE has been a way of life for a decade now.

I hope this plays out well for you, but hope is not a method. Please follow through with the supply action. You will probably never fire a shot in anger, right? But that probability is something greater than zero and you don't want to be shooting M855A1 in a chamber and through barrel designed for M193 (and which may or may not have seen plenty of them in its life).

Good luck shipmate!

·
Go ahead - ask me how Chalz' huge, bulging, fearle
3,240 Posts
Agree completely on the TPE issue with regards to training. Funny thing is, I'm already qualified on the M16 and M4 along with the M9 and M11. Yet for this specific tour I had requalify (despite the fact that I already was qualed) on the M16A3 and the M9 along with a lot of other folks that had never touched a weapon except for boot camp. So now there is this group of new qualified people on the A3 and M9 that are being issued A1s and M11s. Talk about a cluster. I was one of the line coaches for the qualifications so I managed to draw an M11 and gather around all the people that essentially knew nothing about firearms and explain to them how the decocking lever works and smooth their feathers about the lack of a user operated safety.

Ideally I shouldn't have to fire a shot in anger, BUT I go outside the wire routinely and last time I was there I was involved in a few long range fire fights and one very freshman attempt at an IED/small arms ambush. I don't see this trip really being any different. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I made a few more phone calls yesterday and found out that you hit the nail on the head Dave. TPE (although they didn't call it that) is exactly whats going on over there. Just makes no damned sense to me. Why waste man-hours and money drawing up custody cards, issuing antique weapons and shipping them overseas only to have them be turned in and stored for 6 months the moment your boots hit the ground?

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Yep your just down the road from me. AP Hill is between us. Good friend of mine works for TRADOC there.

·
Banned
733 Posts
I was stationed at Ft Campbell from 2003-2007 half that time in Iraq though I miss Tennessee I may move back one day

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If anybody ends up in Utah, let me know and I'll point you to the decent bars (yes, they exist here). I live just outside Hill AFB but I work in SLC so I'm familiar with basically anywhere you could find yourself stationed/TDY. Do yourself a favor if you want to buy for home use, get it at the Class Six. They're cheaper than the state-run liquor stores. Gonna have to stock up before my IRR ID card expires.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Aaaaaand I'm a civvie at NAS Fallon, NV now. So if anybody goes TDY/TAD here or is in Reno for some reason, hit me up.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts