Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sunsong seal kit for the power steering pump. It's good, but it did not include the output shaft bushing. The pump was rattling a bit. Now that I have it apart, I'm pretty sure that the bushing was the problem as the bushing is pretty loose and appears shiny and worn. 140k miles on the 2002 Focus. Or if someone knows the specs on the bushing, maybe I could try to find one on a spec basis rather than a utility basis. Thanks. My usual parts sources don't seem to carry just the bushing, but I did see one seal kit that included it, so I know it's not completely unobtanium.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There's no worm shaft in a PS pump. And the 'steering gear' would be the rack itself, not the pump. And the part suggested is a bearing not a bushing.

That poster was one who flipped out on the other Focus website when he was called out for not knowing what he was talking about. He kept throwing 'working on military jets' as proof of expertise on cars.

One can clearly see the problem on that last post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^These are not facts but rather opinions, just saying. I'm going to go ahead and clear that one.

First, many people (Possibly the OP, I didn't know so I was making sure) use the terms "bushing" and "bearing" interchangeably although it's technically incorrect. You can deny this all you want, but it's common knowledge throughout many mechanical industries.

Secondly, I didn't "flip out" in any way on the other forum. I asked a simple question that took a hell of a long time to answer (considering it was so "basic") and the responder basically called me an idiot, so I made fun of him. Tit for tat, who cares. If you get your feelings hurt that easily don't have a superior attitude towards people you don't know.

In 30-plus years of working on and building vehicles, this was the only starter motor I'd ever seen with a 'vent tube.' Mind you, I've only had to work on a handful of them anyway in all that time. This doesn't make me "stupid", just means it's something I hadn't come across. It was just a question, crucify me.

Also, some steering pumps do have worm gears... thought that was common knowledge. The "steering gear" can refer to the steering box, pump, or rack... though the rack is hydraulic and there's no gears in there but still...

Damn, supposedly so smart and still know nothing.

That tidbit of information that was given to me on that other forum was actually incorrect by the way as the part in question was an un-vented solid piece of metal.

Third, I never -not once- "threw around working on military jets" as a way to VALIDATE my abilities on cars, or any ability for that matter. My abilities do that for me, anyone who's ever seen me fix anything knows it.

The poster on the other forum doubted my military service or at least alluded to the idea that I was full of crap, so I stated simply what my military service was, which wasn't 'throwing' anything 'around', it was hard-earned. In no way at any point did I imply that working on C5s (not "jets", btw, they're turbofans) suddenly certified me as a Ford engineer.

You shouldn't throw around information like it's true unless you've actually absorbed the whole thing- seems hard for you to do but don't worry- you'll be ok. The dude I talked crap to was talking crap first, I just got sided against by the rest of 'em.

My **** was definitely funnier, and if someone can't ask a question without being called stupid or getting penalized, then screw these forums anyway. Look up the word 'forum.'

You might be interested to learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts