Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked before and told me not needed.

and found this out today, oil+water mixed bailey's like chocolaty puke.

car ran perfect but recently had bogging under boost when doing wot. no problem under normal driving.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
All cars have some oil which is pulled into the engine from the factory, it's considered normal. I personally don't like it but at the same time venting it to atmosphere smells bad in the cabin as it usually comes through the vents. That's why we normally recommend catch cans for the track and not the street. However that being said ultimately you can make the decision on what you prefer. I don't personally run them on my street car but I do on my track car.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so..that amount of oil is considered normal?
will i need datalog to run this?
if the bad smell is the only issue, i would put one in.

but isn't there catch can doesn't have breath filter on top?

or better to go with this with filter on top?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The version which still recirculates will definitely help eliminate large amounts of oil and will not smell at all. That would be the best choice for the street. However it will still get a lot of oil vapor and you will still have some oil in the entire plumbing just not nearly as much, I'd say it would be a good compromise.

The version with the filter would keep the plumbing super clean but does have the smell issue.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will go with filter version then. car stinks already, i can live with that.
thanks for quick advice.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Don't bother with a the one with the filter on top. When you turn on the heat it'll make the inside of the car stink. Run your vent hose from the can to somewhere under the car. It's going to drip a little though unless you add a filter at the end of the hose.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Vik, what catch can do you run on the duratec race car?
I actually just made a custom one for our race car. But anything that fits will work fine, they all do the same thing in the end. Mostly you're paying for quality and fitment especially when it vents to atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I actually just made a custom one for our race car. But anything that fits will work fine, they all do the same thing in the end. Mostly you're paying for quality and fitment especially when it vents to atmosphere.

Do you have yours with baffles or filled with anything vik?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Do you have yours with baffles or filled with anything vik?
No baffles or anything, it's a vent to atmosphere design so baffles or filler won't really matter much. It just uses a small filter on the top like most.
If you are recirculating the catch can then baffles or filler would be highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Awesome thanks for the imput vik!

Merry Christmas and thanks for your time on Christmas Eve!!

You should take a look in the last page of the random boredom thread about divorced downpipes :)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
^ you should stop fretting about divorced downpipes and just concentrate on winning FOTY for Chrissakes :p:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts